Adding road intersections to a DTM

propstuff

I'm trying to add a road with 2 intersections to follow the contours of a DTM (up hill and down dale).

The Road tool doesn't seem to support intersections, and i've tried using;

Polyline>convert to 3D polys>Send to surface>Move 3D: Z=200mm >change class to site Modifier; then put a fence around it.

This "sort of" works, but the road doesn't follow the terrain properly.

How can I do this?

cheers,

N.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Try this:

1. Locate your intersections (Roadway-Tee objects) on your site plan and adjust their height (z-values) to the surface of the DTM.

2. Sketch polylines (arc-smoothed) between them in the alignments of your roadway.

3. Use the Station along Poly... command to set up stakes along each of the polys you drew in (2). Set up a fairly long station interval; stakes will be placed (and the roadway will therefore coincide with the DTM) at your interval setting.

4. Run the Create Road from Stakes command for each of your polys.

Hi again Robert,

quote:

Locate your intersections (Roadway-Tee objects) on your site plan and adjust their height (z-values) to the surface of the DTM.

They way you say this sounds like there is a "Roadway-Tee" object (tool or command) that exists in LM somewhere. When I read the manual I found a reference on page 4-12 to "joins in sections" of roads which seemed to relate to the joins b/w straight and curved sections of roads, but I couldn't find any reference to intersections at all let alone a "Tee" object.

Can you tell me which page of the manual I should be looking at?

cheers,

N.

Thanks Robert,

I'm on the Industry series and a Custom workspace, and when I put the Landmark tools in I didn't actually look in the "Architect-Site" palette in the Workspace Editor where those tools are kept.

I still can't find, in the Landmark Manual, the bit where the use of the Road Tools is described.

Can you help?

cheers.

N.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Use the Workspace Editor and click on the Tools tab. Choose the "all tools" option on the left and scroll down to Roadway (tee). The exact usage of this object, like many objects in the Industry Series, is not explicitly documented in the manual. Place an instance of it in your drawing and experiment with the settings.

Robert,

Let me ask this another way.

If I open a new file and using the workspace editor add to or delete from the buttons I see, do these workspace changes take effect only in that file or are these changes to Vectorworks default setting? If I close Vectorworks then open up a new file, by making this change in one file/document, have I overwritten Vectorwork's default button settings in only that file/document or for all new documents?