IFC, GUID and timestamp in Vectorworks

zeno

Good morning,

I'm studying a manual on bim.  In the description of a process related to the BIM REPOSITORY it describes the updating procedure that takes place between the different applications also thanks to two factors.  The management of a unique ID of the object (I believe it is the GUID) and the fact of being able to assign a timestamp to the specific object.  the text says that VW does not support either of these two aspects.   I know that the GUID is not a problem, but how do we put it with the

thanks

@Joe Marshall

@_c_ @Mihail Rizov

Edited by Zeno
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Zeno,

Of course, Vw supports unique IDs for each object (GUID) and even at the level of components (like for the walls). The other concept is not exactly just a timestamp. It is IFCOWNERHISTORY - it contains not only the timestamp for creation and modification of the object, but also last user and application, type of modification, state and access of the object. It is possible in IFC to attach this to every object in the model, but I've never seen an application to support it at the level of objects - it is supported at the level of the project, so there is just one instance of the owner history and it is used from all of the objects in the model.

There was a proposal to all IFC implementers (members of buildingSMART ISG) to make this support, but the main reason to not make it is, that this will make files a lot bigger and will slow down all the applications, along with the implementation costs.

Regards,

Mihail Rizov

3 hours ago, Mihail Rizov said:

Hi Zeno,

Of course, Vw supports unique IDs for each object (GUID) and even at the level of components (like for the walls). The other concept is not exactly just a timestamp. It is IFCOWNERHISTORY - it contains not only the timestamp for creation and modification of the object, but also last user and application, type of modification, state and access of the object. It is possible in IFC to attach this to every object in the model, but I've never seen an application to support it at the level of objects - it is supported at the level of the project, so there is just one instance of the owner history and it is used from all of the objects in the model.

There was a proposal to all IFC implementers (members of buildingSMART ISG) to make this support, but the main reason to not make it is, that this will make files a lot bigger and will slow down all the applications, along with the implementation costs.

Regards,

Mihail Rizov

Thanks Mihal for your support.

Zeno