Tapered Stairs

Apologies if this has been answered in another forum post, but I couldn't find it if it was.

I'm looking for advice on how to use the stairs tool to create a stairs that tapers from one width to another width along its length (as the 2D image below). From what I can see the stairs tool only allows for a consistent stair width.

image.thumb.png.b78e308475f3177e5db835addd5d6b4f.png

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I'm doing the same but struggling. @Wes Gardner, what kind of explode would you go for? 3D Polylines, 3D Mesh? Whenever I try this method and then use an rectangular extrusion as a guide to Subtract Solids, nothing seems to happen. 

@James Corbett, how 'simple' do the stairs have to be. I've got a single run of what I'd call simple stairs, but the Split Tool doesn't have an effect.

image.thumb.png.d052f43ced17281870b42725ec97d5ce.png

Apologies, I've just sorted this out.

1) Convert Stairs to 3D polylines.

2) Delete sides (optional)

3) Create guide extrusion for cutting the stairs (steps 3 and 4 can be swapped around)

4) Select the risers and treads of the stair, and then Model > Add Solids (this step makes the stairs into a single 'thing').

5) Select the guide extrusion and the stairs and use Model > Subtract Solid (make sure the thing you want to keep is selected red).

6) Done.

On 8/31/2019 at 2:58 PM, CipesDesign said:

FWIW, Sometimes I find that I can simply cover the tapered (or narrowed) portion of the stair with a wall, using send to back, etc. Obviously not anatomically correct, but it achieves the intent graphically. [Easiest solutions = best solutions?]

But what if there's no wall? Or the tapering of the stairs is more than the thickness of the wall can hide?

Edited by Keito64

Try a Subtract Solid with a big extrusion to remove the tapered portion from a square stair object.   Make it a symbol if you need to clean up the 2D presentation.   This preserves the original stair object for later editing.   Seems to work with both current and 'old' Custom Stair Tool.   My firm is one of those that has never converted from this old stair tool except in special circumstances.