Roof help: parapets and shed

Re Plane= 3d in the OIP

In a new test file draw a rectangle and extrude it, give it some color fill. Render in Open GL.

Engage the Flyover tool and set the view so you can see top and a couple sides of the extrude.

Now the drawing is in a 3d environment.  If a 2d tool is engaged, eg the circle, and the start point hovers on one of the faces of the extrude, the Drawing Plane menu offers choices.  You might see some or all of these:  Option, Automatic, Screen, Screen Aligned, Layer, Working Plane. Choose Automatic if available. If Option shows up, click it and choose "Layer and Working Plane", or Automatic.  This is a tricky menu, and takes some experience to know what to expect and what to do. Sometimes just a click on a 3d object changes the choices.

Now in the drawing, hover your circle tool on one of the extrude side faces. The side face should highlight. Draw a circle and it should "stick" to that face of the extrude. With the Select tool, you can drag the circle around on that face of the extrude, or even off the face of the extrude - but it will stay on that plane.  When this circle is selected, OIP > Plane should indicate "3d" or "Working Plane".  Here, you can toggle to the other choices.  EG if you pick Layer Plane, the circle will drop away from the extrude face and appear on the ground plane.  Experiment.

If the drawing plane menu is set to Working Plane, and drawing is set to one of the ordinal(?) views (Front, Back, Right, Left, Bottom, Top, Top/Plan), then Vectorworks  automatically establishes a working plane parallel to the screen so that objects created in those views display on the working plane emanating from the drawing origin.  eg in the case of Front view, the working plane is the xz plane. Left view is the yz plane.

Arrrrg so many words.

-B

1 hour ago, Benson Shaw said:

@ All - Thanks for this thread!  I haven't explored this tool for a while and received a good boost.  Also found a bug.

@creatrix - Contrats. Glad you found answers and ultimate success. Go Habitat!

Several takeaways for me:

•  When working with walls intersecting at different heights I need to disable the vwx pref for Auto Join Walls.

Otherwise, the Vectorworks mitered intersection follows up the taller wall.

Fortunately, a pref shortcut is available for the Mode Bar, so the pref can be easily toggled.

•  Fit Walls to Objects command pretty consistently misses one the end point of the arcs in the profile.

This causes misalignment of segments that are supposed to be level or plumb.

Reversing the wall direction can help. Sometimes. A bit.

The only sure workaround I found is to temporarily set the VWX Pref for 3d Conversion Resolution to Low (I usually work at Very High).

Filing a bug with details in Troubleshooting forum.

•  The Fitting Surface extrusion, can be just a "sheet". It does not need to be an enclosed volume.

Steps I used are outlined below. Some of the steps could be combined, but this is a fair breakdown.

Again, thanks to all.

-B

Parapets 1-4.png

Parapets 5-8.png

Parapets 9-10.png

Parapets.vwx

Kind of a separate issue fro what this thread is about... but I think that I'm right to say that if you have multiple-component walls, those junctions between two walls of different heights are going to be a mess (if you want the components to join properly in top-plan or plan section view). This is one of the things that VW seems to fail to deal with well. You end up having to do it with multiple bits of wall stacked on each other, or similar.

Guest Wes Gardner

I wondering if the best way to do this is to use the wall tool to create walls up to the top plate height and then model the parapet so that you can get both the curve (as seen in an elevational view) as well as the fillet.  I think everything else in the sketch could be created using the standard plug-in objects (doors, windows, walls, etc)

Screen Shot 2019-06-26 at 12.48.01 PM.png

Wes are you proposing stacking a solid on top of a parametric wall?  If so, wouldn't you have an unattractive line that wouldn't go away where the two of them meet, in elevation using Hidden Line or Open GL rendering? 

95787467_ScreenShot2019-06-26at1_35_50PM.thumb.png.a220c94ee828a44c4a3122b14a6c515f.png

Edited by cberg

It is an option..... And maybe a good one if you are really interested in the curved returns.  This makes me wish for a more robust wall tool and better integration between solids and parametric objects.  Thanks for the alternate suggestion!

@Wes Gardner Thanks Wes!

Here's my take which is probably too deeply about constructibility.

Split the setup into walls above and below bottom of roof.

Walls should be joined prior to Fit operations. The component joins are great, except need better control over which core is extended.  Maybe a way to force that?

My file's kind of a mess because experimenting, but here it is.  Main stuff on the Layer= 2 Wall Styles Stacked 

-B

CompWalls Setup.png

Comp Walls 1.png

CompWalls 2.png

Fit to Walls.vwx

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Benson Shaw said:

@Wes Gardner Thanks Wes!

Here's my take which is probably too deeply about constructibility.

Split the setup into walls above and below bottom of roof.

Walls should be joined prior to Fit operations. The component joins are great, except need better control over which core is extended.  Maybe a way to force that?

My file's kind of a mess because experimenting, but here it is.  Main stuff on the Layer= 2 Wall Styles Stacked 

-B

CompWalls Setup.png

Comp Walls 1.png

CompWalls 2.png

Fit to Walls.vwx

Yes, I think that's basically what you have to do, stack walls on top of each other..

Of course, as soon as you want to make any changes... it becomes a bit complicated.

Being fussy... I think you actually need *4* wall objects (the top two being the same style) stacked to make this junction work properly, right?

1035390432_ScreenShot2019-06-26at20_45_36.thumb.jpg.08558fae32b46a85290b3a7fd370d2aa.jpg

• Like 1
3 hours ago, line-weight said:

Being fussy... I think you actually need *4* wall objects (the top two being the same style) stacked to make this junction work properly, right?

1035390432_ScreenShot2019-06-26at20_45_36.thumb.jpg.08558fae32b46a85290b3a7fd370d2aa.jpg

@line-weight  Probably right, another wall stacked above the lower parapet might be optimal? However, the joined walls did a pretty good Fit Walls and the sheathing and stucco was subsequently offset from bottom to expose framing/core for the roof connection.  This balloon construction scheme assumes that the parapets are not separate short walls bearing on a roof platform.

I think the 3d modeling is pretty good.  Top/Plan is good except I need a way to choose which core extends.  I would prefer that the non sloped wall (square top) is the one that keeps its end locations and the rounded ones attach to it.

-B

Parapet Top:Plan.png

Parapet 3d.png

• Like 2