Roof help: parapets and shed

I am doing a plan (pro bono) for Habitat for Humanity so pleading that someone help out of respect for a great cause! I'm an Interior Designer and don't do buildings so having a difficult time with this roof. I've included a sketch and done the create roof in AEC following the online video but don't get a simple shed roof in any way, shape or form. And do not know how to make exterior walls of differing heights with rounded edges, resembling adobe construction?

ncq8yVgGTe6HjOXhfUp5Jg_thumb_6389.jpg

Thanks cberg and I have to. This is how walls are built when they are either adobe blocks or mimicking them. So I have made my poly and  tried to fit walls to it but the resulting box doesn't allow me to do anything? I'm sure I'm doing something wrong but no clue what so any more help is greatly appreciated!

Screen Shot 2019-06-17 at 7.29.51 PM.png

You need to work with 3d solids for this to work.  It looks like you have made the actual shape of the wall you want to build.  You need to extrude the inverse of that shape as your 3D bounding object.  Put the extruded object or generic solid into the vertical position that you need and make sure it is on another layer.  Then select both the wall and the object to fit the wall to, and select fit to objects in the AEC menu.

583090081_ScreenShot2019-06-17at9_53_46PM.thumb.png.276830524d61523107d85a2714d1c084.png

Fit walls to object.vwx

Edited by cberg
  • Like 1

This question illustrates the inadequacies of the wall tool. It shouldn't be necessary to go through the convoluted process of making an extrude that's the inverse of the shape you want. (That function is obviously designed to quickly shape walls to the underside of roofs etc - but people use it for situations such as described in this thread because there's not another way to do it.)

It should be possible to tell VW to make a wall to the shape of a polygon or other 2d shape that you can draw accurately, a bit like an extrude.

Of course this would still not solve the problem of what happens when two walls with different heights meet at a corner as is the case in the OP's design - gets very messy if the wall has more than one component.

All this is why I often end up modelling everything as 3D solids (and have stopped using top/plan)

• Like 4

Everybody complains about the stair tool, but I completely agree with Line-weight and think that the wall tool needs a major overhaul.  We need some interoperability between solids and parametric forms of modeling.  I.e.  We need to be able to convert solids into walls.  Walls need to be truly 3D. 

We also need better opening and projection options.  Not the glitchy ones that presently exist.

We also need to be able to accommodate projections, trims and different construction assemblies within a single wall.  

These things have been wished for since 2010 (or earlier), so I don't have hope it will be developed before 2025 (or later). 

That said, we can import point clouds and do photogrammetry.  (Stuff developers want to work on)  :-) 

• Like 3

Thanks for input zoomer but I don't have enough knowledge to understand anything you've said.

@cberg   I believe I have slogged through it and done as you recommended — thank you greatly! Could you tell me why I am not able to get fill in the new wall like the other walls? It was somehow still on the Layer that I created it and I put it in the Exterior Wall class on my floor plan layer as well as my floor plan layer.

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 4.48.10 PM.png

1 hour ago, creatrix said:

Thanks for input zoomer but I don't have enough knowledge to understand anything you've said.

@cberg   I believe I have slogged through it and done as you recommended — thank you greatly! Could you tell me why I am not able to get fill in the new wall like the other walls? It was somehow still on the Layer that I created it and I put it in the Exterior Wall class on my floor plan layer as well as my floor plan layer.

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 4.48.10 PM.png

Based on the selection handles, it doesn't look like you have a wall object there - it looks like an extruded solid.

Is that what you intended?

If it is just an extruded solid, then VW does not understand that it is a 'wall' and therefore it won't connect with the other walls or take on their fill, when you are viewing it in 'top/plan' view.

No that's not what I intended. I guess I did what cberg said incorrectly ("You need to work with 3d solids for this to work.  It looks like you have made the actual shape of the wall you want to build.  You need to extrude the inverse of that shape as your 3D bounding object.  Put the extruded object or generic solid into the vertical position that you need and make sure it is on another layer.  Then select both the wall and the object to fit the wall to, and select fit to objects in the AEC menu".)

and it must be just an extruded solid. I don't believe I understand how to work in 3d solids or what a 3D bounding object is?

I am so grateful for all of this help!

3 hours ago, creatrix said:

No that's not what I intended. I guess I did what cberg said incorrectly ("You need to work with 3d solids for this to work.  It looks like you have made the actual shape of the wall you want to build.  You need to extrude the inverse of that shape as your 3D bounding object.  Put the extruded object or generic solid into the vertical position that you need and make sure it is on another layer.  Then select both the wall and the object to fit the wall to, and select fit to objects in the AEC menu".)

and it must be just an extruded solid. I don't believe I understand how to work in 3d solids or what a 3D bounding object is?

I am so grateful for all of this help!

You have to carefully follow the instructions given by @cberg above, where the "fit walls to objects" command is mentioned. You have to make the extrude the opposite of the shape you want to end up with. You then "fit" the wall to that object to end up with the right shape. Think of it a bit like subtracting the extrude from the wall.

This video explains that command. Usually it's used to make the top edge of a wall follow the underside of a roof shape. In your case you want to make it follow the underside of your template extrude object.

@line-weight I'm getting clearer on what I need to do but no clearer on how. I now see the inverse on cberg's example but I don't know how to make it. Can I use a polygon, extrude it and then create an inverse in easy steps? Any specific direction much appreciated!

Wall pio’s can only be vertical so not sure what you mean. The screen shot looks like a top/plan view, if so then the view is looking down onto the top of the wall. 

Is the rounded shape your extrusion to which you want to shape the top of your wall?

if so it needs to be rotated 90degrees around the x axis. If you go into a left view (hit 6 on the number keypad) then you can select the object and use the rotate tool

move the extrusion over your wall at the right height. It has to be on a different layer than the wall. You can then select the wall and then run the fit to objects tool. 

Hope that makes sense sense and helps!

I quite like to work in 3d view as much as possible, therefore the way I often rotate things is to set the working plane perpendicular to the axis of rotation (in this case I have taken the working plane from the end face of the wall) and then use the rotate tool.

(boh's method may be easiest to use if you are new to VW though)

In fact the extrude doesn't need to be on a different layer from the wall, for the "fit walls to roof" command.

1209829726_ScreenShot2019-06-22at11_03_53.thumb.jpg.23c11c4f9af7d8f937bf9a7b9437775b.jpg1155689250_ScreenShot2019-06-22at11_04_26.thumb.jpg.66e6a092d884f16d744a100ff246f7c2.jpg38607176_ScreenShot2019-06-22at11_05_01.thumb.jpg.9970c9bfe2adb53668fa70220f5459b6.jpg

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 1

I believe I'm closer in terms of Boh's method but can't figure out how to rotate the inverse object(yes Boh, that odd shape is what I want the wall to fit to on the underside) that I want the wall shaped by? I'd love to have the knowledge to do what you suggest line-weight, but I don't. I'm f+^$^&*ing sick of this, including my ignorance!

Screen Shot 2019-06-22 at 1.54.45 PM.png

@ All - Thanks for this thread!  I haven't explored this tool for a while and received a good boost.  Also found a bug.

@creatrix - Contrats. Glad you found answers and ultimate success. Go Habitat!

Several takeaways for me:

•  When working with walls intersecting at different heights I need to disable the vwx pref for Auto Join Walls.

Otherwise, the Vectorworks mitered intersection follows up the taller wall.

Fortunately, a pref shortcut is available for the Mode Bar, so the pref can be easily toggled.

•  Fit Walls to Objects command pretty consistently misses one the end point of the arcs in the profile.

This causes misalignment of segments that are supposed to be level or plumb.

Reversing the wall direction can help. Sometimes. A bit.

The only sure workaround I found is to temporarily set the VWX Pref for 3d Conversion Resolution to Low (I usually work at Very High).

Filing a bug with details in Troubleshooting forum.

•  The Fitting Surface extrusion, can be just a "sheet". It does not need to be an enclosed volume.

Steps I used are outlined below. Some of the steps could be combined, but this is a fair breakdown.

Again, thanks to all.

-B

Parapets 1-4.png

Parapets 5-8.png

Parapets 9-10.png

Parapets.vwx