Setting Default Linetype

JMSarch

Question

10 answers to this question

Line Type defaults are set the same way as almost any other default in VW.

With nothing selected in the drawing change the settings in the Attributes Palette. Select the Line Type you want to be the default. After that any line you draw will use that Line Type.

For Text defaults make sure nothing is set in the drawing and and set what you want from the Text menu to set default Font, Style, and Size.

• Like 3

Thanks Pat.

To be more specific, is there a way to set what Line type VW defaults to once a solid line is already drawn and you use the attributes pallet to change it to a line type. For instance, I would like to be able to change a solid line to a 'dashed 1' style line as the default. My current drawing defaults to a fence line type that rarely gets used.

Likewise, I have the same issue with changing a solid fill to a hatch. There is currently no way to set a default for a specific hatch after an object is already drawn. Often times the default is not something I would normally use.

• Like 1

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, this solution may be too simple? Set the default (nothing selected) to by class and create classes based on  your fills and linetypes, make sure to check the box under "Graphic Attributes" to "Use at Creation" then either draw on the proper class or assign the proper class, once the object is created.

By Class will definitely work, but what if you have an object that you don't want to be By Class, but want to have a Line Type?

It appears that the default is whatever Line Type was imported/created first in the file with not way to change that. 

I hope I am wrong and there is a way to change it, but I have not found it yet.

Perhaps try;

with nothing selected change att palette to a preferred linetype( not the fence line)

draw a line 

if use at creation was on to create a by class solid line what linetype does it change to when you change it in the att palette?

Hopefully it changed to your preferred linetype

now once again with nothing selected change the line style back to solid

draw a line

what happens when you change the line style of this line?

Hopefully your selected not fence line

• Like 1

Yes have had this issue before on wall style fills and it took forever to figure it out. VW seems to revert to the last used setting for each type of line style, hatch etc.

Milestone moment - i've just joined the 500 club! Looking forward to the perks of club membership...

Edited by Boh

Yeah, did not work for me.  I get the Fence line type every time I change from solid.  PLUS, with 2022, I get to wait quite some time for the line types pop up to show.  Not sure what that became a thing....spinning beachball and everything.  Same with most attribute popups.   2017 iMac, 40 gb, Big Sur.

• Like 1