How to export Quads instead of triangles?

Hello, I am trying to figure out best practices for exporting objects from Vectorworks into Cinema 4D. When I send the file to C4D in the File menu, the resulting geometry's polygons are a mix of triangles and quads. I would like them all to be quads. Is there a way to set a preference or something so that they all will be quads?

Thanks!

IMHO,

opposed to FBX export (?), C4D Export or send to,

already does export Quads wherever possible.

That is for all rectangular surfaces.

As soon as you have more complex Faces with more than 4 corners/vertices

or cutouts, there has to be a kind of triangulation.

If you would be modeling Meshes manually, e.g. for a Wall with a Window,

you would loop-cut your hole Wall Box along all window edges, to finally bridge

the Window cutout. That will bring you nice all Quads only.

But a computer isn't able to do such decisions.

In the strictest terms everything in 3D is made of triangles. Even quads are two triangles, it's just when all verticies line up these 3d packages hide the triangle divider.

So for a sphere apparently made of quads;

image.thumb.png.dfcfe613e170d2676dcc5a2edc4b0efd.png

Is actually made of hidden Triangles.

image.thumb.png.0c0d5d82adddd58805ec8a24386f1958.png

They way each program stores and generates surfaces is very different. So Import and Export functions are generally a translator. You are right, you'll get different results with different exporters.

The only real exception with this is NURBS which describe a surface. Even so, when this is rendered, it's still converted to triangles for display.

VW works with Seimens NX Parasolids, so your best bet is to export to the .X_T format, and then it's down to your import options in C4D to get you the cleanest result. But the X_T format will describe the scene the best. If C4D doesn't like that format, go for IGS next and then SAT, but the key is your import options.

• Like 1

Not used C4D for a while but when you bring in the mesh you can convert tris to quads (untriangulate or something).

Not sure how smart C4D with this operation but after its best guess you may want to run it again then finish off with some manual work if required.

I seem to remember that Jim said that due to VW being all tris it was very difficult to have a UV map option.

Edited by barkest
7 hours ago, zoomer said:

C4D does perfect quad conversion.

And so stunning fast !

It would largely depend on the mesh it has to convert. 

I would generally say that you would need some understanding of topology to make sure that you have a decent conversion or you can just go with what it gives you of course.

I am unsure why the OP wants to convert, I mentioned UV mapping and this could be the reason maybe?

Edited by barkest

Hi there and thank you for your replies.

There are several reasons why quads are preferable to triangles. First of all, as correctly mentioned above by barkest, for UV mapping. However, another important reason is when using subdivision surfaces to smooth out geometry. Subdivision surfaces doesn't like triangles.

The funny thing is that some objects are quads, some are mixed quads and triangles and others are simply triangles.

Is there any way to "force" quads for everything.

Untriangulating after the fact doesn't work all of the time.

Thanks!

16 hours ago, animas3D said:

Untriangulating after the fact doesn't work all of the time.

Although it is some time since I used C4D that was my experience. You could run it a couple of times and maybe isolate parts of the mesh and run it again on that alone.

I am 'assuming' here that you are not modelling in VW and instead you are taking pre-made objects such as windows, doors etc. If that is the case then work object by object. As previously mentioned you will probably have to do some manual tidy up work. Its always worthwhile optimising as you go along and  merging verts does not take that long depending again on complexity.

You are right that quads are preferable given that the flow is predictable.

What exactly are you trying to do (what type of object) then maybe we can help further?

<Edit> Just thinking about this and although I do not have C4D have you thought to try Modify > Simplify Mesh (turn you object into a mesh first but take a copy before you do it). So if you then simplify but keep the same number of faces and then export. I wonder if you will then end up with a mesh in C4D that is all tris rather than a mixture.

Edited by barkest