Filling with Hatches and Symbols

VW, Landmark 10.5.1

Can someone point me to a how-to or tutorial on filling areas with repeating patterns? I design a lot of patios, so far I've been drafting them with a combination of arcs, rectangles, lines, and often they adjoin the exterior wall of a house which I draw using the wall tool.

I have some symbols for flagstone but I'm not sure how to get them to tile correctly, or if I merely apply them over the shape, how to trim the area outside the patio.

Hatches of course only fill the shape they are applied to, so I need to combine shapes to create one contiguous surface.

And probably more difficult: The edge of the patio will often need a soldier course of brick or stone set tangent to the edge, up to which the main field pattern will then abut. Ideas?

I'm pretty new and doing a lot of searching of the forum, but I appreciate any tips.

will Niccolls

You can combine the 2d objects using the compose command (Tool menu) if the end points all snap to each other.

You can also add surface (Tool Menu) is all the objects intersect each other.

If the 2d shapes are not connected by surface or by end point, you'll need to draw an object that will cover the missing entities to use the add surface command.

To connect them, you'll need to use the connect combine tool - which will give you a poly, so you won't need to use the compose command.

Then you just apply a hatch or solid fill to the object via the attributes palette. There is also a way to apply a hatch to an object via the Tool menu.