Showing gobo texture in lit fog

Hi all,

I'm trying to dummy up a laser look by projecting a thin rectangular line gobo onto a surface. I used the technique described in the  video linked below, and it works for just projecting the gobo itself onto my 3d surfaces, but I need to take the next step and have the shape/texture show up in the beam with the 'lit fog' option turned on, but when I turn on the fog, it's showing the entire circle of the beam, not the shape of the geo I've created.

https://www.vectorworks.net/training/2016/getting-started-guides/spotlight/Gsg-2016-s15-adding-a-gobo-texture 

Is it possible to render a texture in the fog beam?

EDIT: I also tried removing my gobo texture and just using the shutter tool, but that doesn't work either.

thx!

A

Edited by ajemutt

Thanks. I did try that. It looks like using it with a gobo might work, but I was on the phone with VW support today, and they said that shutter cuts won't render in fog. I tried to switch back to a gobo, and now VW keeps crashing every time I try and render the scene, so I'm gonna get back on the phone with them tomorrow :(

• 2 weeks later...