Mac Pro release date Fall 2019

Well, pricing was announced already.

It starts at $5999.

With pretty mediocre Specs, if you compare it to the base iMac Pro.

256 SSD, 32 RAM, RX580x GPU, ....

Reasonable starter configurations may easily exceed my budget.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 2
On 6/7/2019 at 4:21 PM, zoomer said:

Well, pricing was announced already.

It starts at $5999.

With pretty mediocre Specs, if you compare it to the base iMac Pro.

256 SSD, 32 RAM, RX580x GPU, ....

Reasonable starter configurations may easily exceed my budget.

I'm very concerned about this development. I have the "Trash Can" late 2013 and with recent developments with Livesync Lumion I'm considering, very reluctantly (I can't believe I'm going to say this) switching to a windows machine?!

It's a shame about Lumion. When the Livesync version was released, I searched their forums for any hints on the possibility of a Mac version only to find a definitive never!!

https://forum.lumion.com/general-discussion/for_mac

On the other hand, last week's Epic / Graphisoft announcement makes Twinmotion's future look very bright on both platforms, they appear to be positioning themselves to become a default package across the industry.  

Edited by M5d
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, M5d said:

It's a shame about Lumion. When the Livesync version was released, I searched their forums for any hints on the possibility of a Mac version only to find a definitive never!!

Your linked thread was old from 2012 but I found newer ones too.

A Mac version of Lumion won't happen.

It is completely written for Windows and DirectX.

Also there are (at least 2) other Realtime Options. Windows only but a bit more

attractive in cost.

I think Lumion renders look much better than Twinmotion. But that looks like the

way to go on Mac. I am confident that it will progress further now with Unreal.

I am more interested in a Linux solution though.

There is only some hope about Blender Eevee (so far no more support on Mac/Metal/AMD !)

and Modo making some progress.

with maxon acquiring redshift (and a metal version coming), have to hope this will eventually filter down to vectorworks through cinerender?

also, can't see the point of a mac pro for vectorworks? seems to be like using a ferrari to go to the local shop !! 

Metal is, like OpenGL/CL before, for screen display and GPU computing like GPU rendering.

CW Render's C4D Engine is just the CPU renderer, exporter and such things.

So independent from C4D's Metal ambitions.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that VW could or would not switch to Metal

for 3D Display, once they got sorted their current OpenGL system.

(Could be Vulkan by MoltenVK or staying OpenGL with MoltenGL though)

On 6/10/2019 at 12:15 PM, fabrica said:

also, can't see the point of a mac pro for vectorworks? seems to be like using a ferrari to go to the local shop !! 

It's exactly like you say. It's damn good hardware and except the basic version at a very good price. But unfortunately an incredible waste of money to use for Vectorworks.

• Like 1

ok so begins the hardware/software anxiety ritual we all go through every year...currently VW is my heavy hitter for my office (80%)...but I have been using Onshape, OpenBOM & Google Docs (all cloud based) for the non-architectural work I have (20%)...using for I think 2 years... the cloud end of my office has run w/o a problem with zero hardware/software anxiety...

I have a 2013 Mac Pro and am thinking about upgrading...will VW 2020 work with the new Mac OS?   what a headache.  

32 minutes ago, digitalcarbon said:

I have a 2013 Mac Pro and am thinking about upgrading...will VW 2020 work with the new Mac OS?   what a headache.  

We had to shift form a 2012 Mac Pro last year and opted for the Imac Pro. Happy with the performance to date, the price was a bit tough to swallow. Saying that we hope to get five years of service from this unit which makes it affordable when looking at the yearly cost. Good luck with your journey. 

16 minutes ago, line-weight said:

will VW2020 work?

what im noticing with large systems is that...you make a change...then you spend time cleaning up all the debris...first is the large debris...then the smaller and so on...

so each fall VW introduces major changes.. then it takes a full year to recover from that...starting to come to the conclusion that this is true for all large systems and not just a VW issue or even a software one...some fundamental law of the universe...

• Like 2

Two things here: 

1 New OS: Yes. I'm running it on a 2013 MacPro and an almost brand new (January 2019) MacBook Pro. I haven't hit any of the serious bugs that some have documented with the newest service pack. I think the consensus has been "wait until SP3 for critical projects" for the last few years of VW releases.

hardware wise, the new MacPro is really meant for high end work. If you're doing serious animation and post processing, maybe even integrating into video with Nuke or other film-industry standard SW, then it might be for you. I'd see about upgrading your MacPro first. You can take the processor up to a 10-core 3gHz and the RAM up to 128G. I specifically picked the MacPro with the dual 7G video cards originally so that I can't really upgrade. If you need an eGPU, there's some research online looking at various software performance with those. I have a Magma external card case for our HDX ProTools card (we do a lot of post work). 

The iMac Pro will cover almost anyone at this point. The only down side is lack of upgradability compared to the old (and now newest) towers. 

• Like 3

Just found out that someones home got robed the next street over...now I'm thinking, "do I want a $5999 BMW computer sitting in my home office?"  granted I work at home but I do step out at times...

the iMac is cheaper...but that has "steal me" all over it...

Also, back in 2011 I lived in an area that needed to be evacuated...could not get back to my home for about 4 days...hmmm...how secure was that?

Now I know why people don't want to leave their homes and sit in the dark with a shotgun...

Even if i had an insurance plan that showed up the day after with a full replacement of hardware...still, setting it all up would take days...admits all the  other stresses. 

My 2013 Mac Pro I can pack up easy and the Mac mini was easy to pack also...

i"m rethinking my whole business plan... 

Edited by digitalcarbon