Railing/Fence Tool for Spotlight

nubourne

Question

As a Scenic Designer I constantly have to design staircases, but with Spotlight, we only have 2 options: The railing that floats above a staircase (using the simple stair tool) or you have to build a clunky railing that maybe looks like you want it to. I got frustrated today seeing that such a tool exists, but only for Arch and Landscape. Please share the wealth.

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

Learning Spotlight now and seeing that you can't do complex stairways (easily anyway) seems kind of bonkers. You can do whatever you want with windows and doors. Seems to me scenic designers may have some complex stairways in their designs. Wonder what the thinking is here for separating out this specific tool? 

So far it's the only tool not included in Spotlight that seems odd to me and it goes without saying that it's silly to buy a designer license just so you can have... stairs?

Be careful what you wish for.  The stair tool(s) in VW Architect are not that great, and there are a bunch of threads on the message board requesting to have them fixed or replaced.  For the time being, you might be better off just modeling stairs in 3D.  If & when the tool is updated, it makes total sense for it to be included in Spotlight.  There's a similar issue with Retaining Walls being available in Landmark, but not in Architect.  A cynical way to look at it is that VW is leaving valuable tools out to prompt Designer license sales.  I'm guessing lack of thought is the more likely reason.

• Like 2

That makes sense, but having complex stairs at all would probably be better than just having the simple stair tool. 

I'm sure you're aware, but with the simple stair:

- No custom railings (and the one included doesn't have any supports, which is an odd choice for sure). 

- No custom treads

- No custom landings

- Very limited configurations (I.e., straight, straight with landing, etc)

- You have to create a work-around design layer to house the stairs because you can't marry it to appear on multiple floor-design-layers. 

- Very limited texturing, hardware options

Not intending to hijack the original purpose of this thread: Railings and fences are also essential in Spotlight. Railings and fences are constantly necessary for scenic design. 

Though, given that the simple stair tool is fairly stable, might be worth having both? 

In the interim, though, is there a good custom stair modeling tutorial out there?

Edited by trashcan
clarity, additional questions
  • Like 1