Confusion about Vector/Renderworks

Vectorworks contains limited Renderworks capabilities?But Renderworks is, also, a separate piece of software? I don't see Renderworks for ssale, by itself, to be added to VW. Or am I (as usual) confused.

A related question: how do I export an image to be rendered by, say Artlantic, or Cinema 4D. I have demos of both, but when I try to export, VW freezes. Could just be another sign I need more memory. Am about 1/16th of an inch away from getting a mac mini (w/ 1G memory) and a bigger monitor.

Hi Nesika,

Basically Renderworks is kind of like a 'Plugin' for Vectorworks that gives more advanced rendering capabilities. It is purchased with a seat of Vectorworks as an option. I believe it is only a few hundred dollars more, so it offers pretty good value. Renderworks right inside of Vectorworks, so there is no exporting/importing. It works quite nice, and it solves most of my rendering requirements from day to day.

If you want to do very high-end rendering, Cinema 4D is the way to go. In order to go from Vectorworks to Cinema 4D, you need to purchase an additional plugin called VectorWorks Exchange for Cinema 4D. It is around $100 or so and works quite well.

Hope this helps.

It is also like driving around with the Hulk in the back seat, or a tonne of sand in your box of your pickup, you could be wasting resources you might have spent on something else, like a bigger monitor.

Lots of memory saves your computer from writing data to and from your harddrive, which is slower than RAM and puts extra wear on the harddrive.

while I am using an iBook with 768MB, I would say max out the Mini cause it only has one slot and if you want to add more memory later you will have the original left over.

Was just about ready to buy a mac mini, at Connecting Point, when an overbearing salesman thwarted me. Of course he wanted to sell me a G5, dual processor. Well, he lost a sale, and I'll get one online. OWC had a 1G, lifetime warranty for $130.

A friend passsed on what I guess is the VW/Maxon exchange plugin, for me to try. It has two folders: VW Import R7, and R8. If one would work, where in the VW 11 folder would I put i?

Vectorworks/Renderworks are sold as a package. Renderworks is installed automatically during the installation of Vectorworks if the package license has been purchased. Renderworks cannot be installed as a stand-alone as it is designed to work within Vectorworks.

The C4D export/import package has components for both VW & C4D. The VW components go in the Plugins Folder. You must then edit the workspace for them to appear. The C4D components go in its Plugin Folder. It may not work since you are using a demo and have different versions of the Plugins & VW.

George

As far as I'm aware demos do not allow printing, saving or importing/exporting so I don't know how you'll get this facility to work.

The Cinema exchange plug-ins are not free like the Artlantis version and your friend should not give you these as he is breaking his license agreement.

They won't work anyway, the ones you state in your email are for an earlier versions of Cinema and Vectorworks not the latest version so will not work correctly anyway.

I'm sure you can get a demo of Renderworks to try with your copy of Vectorworks 11.

But for Cinema you'll have to evaluate the program from its own perspective, using its own modeling tools, lighting etc. and know that importing and updating your VW files to render etc. is possible in Cinema 4D if you decide to buy it.

quote:

Originally posted by nesika41:

...Could just be another sign I need more memory. Am about 1/16th of an inch away from getting a mac mini (w/ 1G memory) and a bigger monitor.

Adequate computer memory is like a full tank of gas in the car. You know the feeling of driving around with the yellow, low gas light, glowing in your face. It causes anxiety that is so unnecessary.

I vaguely remember the days of not having enough computer memory. I experienced a similar anxiety. But then it also cost $250 for 8meg of memory. Not 800meg, not 80meg, but 08meg.

Computer memory is now cheap. Do yourself a favor and load up. I have 1024meg and I never think about memory. It is like an eternal full tank of gas.