Weird behaviour of a pad site modifier

Hey guys I have a problem with my site model again...

I placed a "pad with vertical retaining edge" site modifier object to create the excavation for a basement ventilation window.

While the second one I created with the exact same method works perfectly well, this one has a weird thing going on inside it:

950906924_Capturedecran2019-06-05a11_07_31.thumb.png.e13941bc4a7d310beb0a0639e9db1905.png

I don't know why this "triangle" shows up inside the pad, despite the retaining edge defining where the vertical walls of the pad should end:

1306670757_Capturedecran2019-06-05a11_17_34.thumb.png.28c5d8b0d64154d6a82cde93bf958af5.png

As I said, I built the exact same thing on another spot of the project, and it works just fine:

1786916945_Capturedecran2019-06-05a11_18_33.thumb.png.9c97e80f7665842cd5d6aa3d788b0826.png

Duplicating the working and replacing the weird one doesn't work.

This type of error occurs in several places on my site model, despite the fact that no pads pads are intersecting each other.

1418166757_Capturedecran2019-06-05a11_20_14.thumb.png.12836978c0b7b6aa65504dcf58cd5a82.png

1885301250_Capturedecran2019-06-05a11_19_53.thumb.png.2fae52801e2bafd02337c043034ec4e7.png

Does anyone have similar issues and a solution to offer?

@Benson Shaw Good idea, I replaced every pad I could with a plain one a few days ago, and it solved some of the problems.

All pads are already spaced 0.001mm in plan, you're right it doesn't work otherwise.

however, I still need the retaining edge on most pads, as I need to control the walls of the pads and their height.

I still have a few imperfections like that left I can't get rid of, but I solved most of them simply by dragging the edga of a pad 100cm to the right, and then 100cm back to the left... I have no idea why or how that worked but I'm somewhat short on time and don't have the opportunity to figure that out.

Kinda talking to myself here

I'm starting to think that my site model somehow ended up being corrupted or idk...

When I try to rebuild it from the source data by double-clicking the site model, there is no data inside it... And when I exit the model, it disappears completely, deleted forever... luckily CMD+Z exists lol.

I've got a separate file with a clean copy of the original site model. This one is still fine, but it says there are errors in the source data (3D polys), saying 3D polys are intersecting. It then marks every point where 3D polys converge as a problematic intersection in the source data. Maybe that could be the problem? I'll try and replace the 3D polys with 3D points at the correct height at every intersecton, and update you guys with the result.

btw, inserting the site model from my backup file into my current problem file, replacing the corrupt model and updating the new site model to show the site modifiers in place still ends up with the same problem, so no solution there.

Edited by Phileas

OK update:

The site model created with only 3D points still shows the same problems, so I guess my site modifiers are causing the issue.

However, there are no site modifiers intersecting, the site model is reporting no problems.

I'm running out of ideas...

On 6/13/2019 at 12:34 AM, Phileas said:

there is no data inside it.

I saw similar on your orig post. The pad w retaining edge that disappeared.  I did select one and noted that OIP reported  infinite xy coordinates. It vanished when deselected.  Sorry no solutions, but it indicates something wrong with the pad or nearby mods.

Sometimes surrounding the whole system of mods with a grad limits object solves some problems with aberrant spikes and holes and folds. Might be worth a try. 

-B

• Like 1

@Benson Shaw yeah something appears to be wrong, I simply can't figure out what...

I already have everything surrounded with a grade limit, and yes it solved some issues, but some appear to be just generated by bugs... I moved one vertex of a problematic pad 5cm on the x axis, then moved it back to it exact starting position, updated the model, and the problem was gone lol.

@Alan Woodwell I already replaced every pad I could with normal ones, but I need a retaining edge for at least a few, so no real solution there.

Right now I'm simply hoping all the bugs will somehow disappear.

• 2 weeks later...

"weird behaviour fo site modifiers"... where to start!

1. Selection of site modifiers, they always seem to be "behind" the site model and sometimes impossible to select without zooming out and marquee selecting, sometimes this doesn't work either...restarting the program can help.

2. how to create two pads( or pads with retaining edges or pads combined with grade limit workaround) that share an edge without generating errors. I have tried setting the two edges back of each other but then a corresponding fillet of "site" is generated. (see triangular plane in attached image)

Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2019-06-28 at 1.06.46 pm.png

• Like 1

@amcdonell Your problem can be solved by creating a new vertex to the retaining edge and placing it here:

1569330164_ScreenShot2019-06-28at1_06_46pm.thumb.png.977b1c7a5c5836d87c3f6621dfc09b5f.thumb.png.50eb99619d29621fd6c30b739f0e277f.png

Keep in mind you terrain will follow the retaining edge,  so if it runs up diagonal like in your pic, the site model will create this "fillet" to match it. Double-click on the retaining edge in a 3D view and add a vertex to the retaining where I placed the red circle to solve your problem.

The site will then follow the red line I drew.

Edited by Phileas