More on calculating areas -

I want to know if VectorWorks has a command or tool similar to the boundary or hatch tools included in AutoCAD. For now, I simply create an "areas" layer and use the polygon tool to trace out my lawn space, pavers, concrete, flower beds, etc. so I can place good looking hatchs or fills and include bidding information for my clients. I find this tedious and time consuming but see no other way to do it. If all this time I have been wasting time, someone please let me know. I should also say that these are not, of course, objects created with a tool that automatically calculates its area - like a polygon, polyline, rectangle or circle. It's normally a combination of arcs, ploygons, polylines, etc on the boundaries of the spaces I want to measure and area for. How do you all come up with these measurements?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If the boundaries that you want to fill and area-track are defined by intersecting lines, arcs, etc, you can select them and use the "combine into surface" command which will find the least selected area clicked and automatically create a polygon which can then be filled and measured.

The "compose" command may be of interest, also.

Well, I've used the tool "combine into surface" under several different conditions on several different landscape plans of mine. I have learned that the tool won't work with my landscape bed lines which I created by created with the arc tool and then combined and trimed the edges to make it look smooth. I just can't use the polyline tool to do that. Anyway, I tried selecting all the arcs and using the compose tool. This makes a single line, but still won't work. I also converted a copy to polygons, which also won't work. When I used polygons, polylines, and other shapes from scratch, it works great, but not with lines I derived from the arc tool. So anyway, it was a nice hope.