Mason2152

How to draft a 3D swimming pool

10 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

This is similar to @Alan Woodwell 's idea.  It's a stepped & filleted extrude used as cutting surface for shallow/deep transition.

Fillet along bottom edge worked in one go!ūüėĀ

Shell Solids would not make it in one go. ūüė°

Hence the 3 shells.

A refinement could be to establish drain slope in the deep end.  After Convert to NURBS, and prior to Fillets:

Select the deep bottom surface

Increase Degree to 2 both directions

OIP>Move=Vertex Only

Use OIP to move the ctr vertex in xyz

Now Fillet to the sides & Shell.

-B

Pool.png

Pool.vwx

Excellent @Benson Shaw  This is the magic I was looking for.  Thanks so much for explanation!

Actually, the first part is much easier.  Skip that convert to NURBS!  After sectioning the bottom, the fillet works in one go and so does the shell!

Hard part is modeling the drain.  Post back if more detail needed.

-B

Pool2.png

Pool2 v2019.vwx

• Like 4

@Benson Shaw Thank you so much for breaking your steps down!  This has helped immensely!  I did another unrefined test to learn your method and made it a little more complicated with a third level rotated at 45 degrees to the main axis.  Worked like a charm.  I owe you many beverages of your choice!  And thanks to @Mason2152 for getting this conversation started, I've learned a bunch thanks to it!  Exciting times!

1041971277_ScreenShot2019-06-12at3_39_02PM.thumb.png.ddb20047c698cdd302c438f85a284ee3.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alan Woodwell said:

@Mason2152Hi, here is a link to a short video of how i go about creating a swimming pool. HTH

https://youtu.be/NFKIif2lXgo

Nicely done!  This thread has become a master class on modeling pools thanks to your video.

• Like 1