Shortcut issues in VW2019 after upgrade from 2016

DJMDevon

Question

I have recently upgraded to VW2019 Architect and I am finding an occasional glitch on shortcuts. Today I hit control Z to undo a polygon item in an annotation layer and all my annotation disappeared. I switched all classes on, tried undo and redo several times but no sign of my notes, but it did paste in place numerous copies of some other objects!! Ive looked through my workspace and cannot see any duplicate functions set to control Z that could be causing a conflict. Paste in place is set to control alt V so Ive not accidentally used the wrong key combination.

• Anyone know what might be happening?
  • Is there a way of printing a list of all shortcuts set up in  VW - I have done this before on an older version but I cannot remember how I did it as it was around 5 years ago? Might have been screenshots of the workspace manager. We also have new members of staff in our practice so a printed list of shortcuts would be useful to give them.

Thanks

Its now gone wrong again using control Z,  but this time it has resized my sheet layer page size to massively large, with my drawing as a speck in the middle of the screen and wont undo.

Edited by DJMDevon

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@DJMDevon I dont know exactly why you’re seeing what you’ve described, but the description you’ve provided makes me curious... When you first ran v2019, you would have been asked if you would like to migrate from a previous version, did you you reply Yes or No? 

With regards to the keyboard shortcuts, Vectorworks’ built-in Help documents (available via the Help menu) have a PDF of the keyboard shortcuts. It’s available here.

Thanks Neil,

Yes I used the migration manager during the install. I've done this for all 14 machines in our practice and mine seems to be the only machine playing up with the shortcuts. It does seem to have settled down a bit now after a couple of days of use and machine restarts. It still occasionally screw up, but this is now down to maybe once every couple of days - frustrating but I can work with it this infrequently. We have upgraded from VW2016 to VW2019

Thanks for the list of shortcuts, I'll have a look through and look for any possible conflicts. We have a customised set that we've all been using in the practice for the past 10 years, initially setup by our Vectorworks supplier, hence it would be useful to be able to export / print a full set of the shortcuts setup in the customised workspace.

For what it’s worth @DJMDevon, I have typically opted to not migrate when installing a new version, so that I get the version as the engineers built it. I have then edited a copy of a stock workspace to create my own custom workspace. My customization, which I will admit is not as “extensive” as some custom workspaces I have seen, usually takes under 5 mins. (I used to keep a list of my modifications, for easy reimplementation, but I’ve done it enough times over the years that I don’t need to review the list anymore.) I have always had good results from this method... Almost like starting from a tried-and-true recipe, then making small modifications to it over time to create your own version.

This manual “revisiting” of customizing my workspace also provides me the focused, considered opportunity to add or remove aspects of the workspace that I realize I should be changed from my previous iteration. Sometimes a previous modification doesn’t get repeated because it wasn’t as useful as I thought it would, or I try out a new modification that subsequently proves to even more useful than I previously anticipated.

I have even used or suggested this approach in offices where I have worked or consulted, and people have typically appreciated the results (even in cases where they insisted that doing so would take too much time... It turns out it didn’t actually take that much time and they too found it valuable to “revisit” the process of workspace modification.)

Your mileage may vary of course, but I thought I would share that approach in case it helps.

As for printing a list of your already modified workspace, I seem to recall that this is possible – I’ll look into it...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, DJMDevon said:

Thanks for the list of shortcuts, I'll have a look through and look for any possible conflicts. We have a customised set that we've all been using in the practice for the past 10 years, initially setup by our Vectorworks supplier, hence it would be useful to be able to export / print a full set of the shortcuts setup in the customised workspace.

To export a .txt file of your customized workspace:

1. Go to Tools > Workspaces > Workspaces... (which opens the Workspace dialog box)
  2. Select the Workspace from which you would like to generate the list of menu commands and tools.
  3. Press the "Export" button in the right sidebar.
  4. Determine the destination of the .txt file and save it.

I hope this is what you are looking for.