Why Does VW have so much trouble with Spaces?

The space tool and VW do not seem to get along.  Why does it take forever for the tool to even activate - it's a good 3-5 seconds after clicking on the space tool before VW is ready to start drawing one.  Changing the attributes, even if it is just a fill colour - takes forever.  Why?  For all the cool things VW can do - why does the space tool give it so much trouble?

• Like 2

Is it because it can do 10x more than I need it too? 

There seems to be be so much functionality with space objects that for me is superfluous. 

I use them for room name labels, area calcs and finishes. But am getting frustrated with how slow they are to respind

• Like 1

There are a few times where we want to use it because it helps with scheduling, space names, and room size charts - but it is sooo laggy it makes me nuts.  Compared to a door or window that has 100s of options, built in 3D components and standard textures and nested classes - it seems like it should be a pretty simple object.  I think it is somehow just coded really inefficiently - it also is an object that leads to crashes.

On 6/4/2019 at 4:38 AM, Boh said:

Is it because it can do 10x more than I need it too? 

There seems to be be so much functionality with space objects that for me is superfluous. 

I use them for room name labels, area calcs and finishes. But am getting frustrated with how slow they are to respind

And the scripting system has to recreate 10 times the function from scratch each time you edit it can't just ignore stuff you don't need.

Still not enough to cause the sorts of 30sec plus slowdowns we see in some large masterplan files.

I am working on an office layout - and that 3-5 seconds I mentioned is a gross underestimation.  I am seeing 10-20 second delays.  The only saving grace is we use the data tool for room tags, so we no longer have to edit the space to edit the space name, or change the tag style.

I think there was a wishlist item about spaces being too slow somewhere. I have a 2000m2 building, we are also seeing this weird lag. It's like the space tool is waking up from deep sleep before it "boots".

No help with refreshing the RML unfortunately.

@JMR I know the feeling. I have recently been doing some concept planning for a ~9,500m2 building and it was often like wading through mud – but the Resource Manager Refresh did end up helping. Even then the delay is still noticeable for such a geometrically simple object.

What would be helpful is if space objects could be created from text. That way room text labels could be converted to space objects when the additional functionality of the space object is required and no dealing with lagging space objects until necessary.

Or is this already possible via a script?

Edited by Boh

That is very cool. Is there some way, a script or something that will make a list of all the room names (simple text objects) and put them in a worksheet? That way if we already have a drawing with room names on it they can be quickly put into a worksheet and then the marionette run to create space objects.

• 3 months later...
On 6/7/2019 at 1:05 AM, Boh said:

That is very cool. Is there some way, a script or something that will make a list of all the room names (simple text objects) and put them in a worksheet? That way if we already have a drawing with room names on it they can be quickly put into a worksheet and then the marionette run to create space objects.

As to the worksheet, this could be one way to do it:

-create a custom record with one field in it, eg. "RoomName", name the record what you want, eg. "RoomNameRecord"

-create a symbol with some text in it, eg. NNNN

-within the symbol, select the text, use "link text to record" from the menus, select your record and field "RoomName"

-exit the symbol

-attach the new record to a symbol instance

-copy and use instances as room name "tags"

-use "create report" from the menus

-select "from record", select your new record and the particular record field

-a worksheet including all room name symbols is created.

This would work if you are ok with typing the room names to the data field manually. If you want to do this with an existing drawing already having the room names  (eg. a DWG), then some other method might work, can't think of a one right now though. The problem is how to make VW recognize that some particular text is a room name - at least the room name text should be classed properly etc.

HTH

On 9/15/2019 at 7:09 AM, JMR said:

As to the worksheet, this could be one way to do it:

-create a custom record with one field in it, eg. "RoomName", name the record what you want, eg. "RoomNameRecord"

-create a symbol with some text in it, eg. NNNN

-within the symbol, select the text, use "link text to record" from the menus, select your record and field "RoomName"

-exit the symbol

-attach the new record to a symbol instance

-copy and use instances as room name "tags"

-use "create report" from the menus

-select "from record", select your new record and the particular record field

-a worksheet including all room name symbols is created.

This would work if you are ok with typing the room names to the data field manually. If you want to do this with an existing drawing already having the room names  (eg. a DWG), then some other method might work, can't think of a one right now though. The problem is how to make VW recognize that some particular text is a room name - at least the room name text should be classed properly etc.

HTH

Thanks JMR.

That would work. I guess simple text can't be listed as a record field on it's own otherwise simply placing the room name text in it's own class would mean a worksheet list of the room names could be created. Another way could be to use callouts as room names as they can be listed in a worksheet.