Why can you move axes in Symbol Edit Mode?

When you double-click a 2D symbol to go into edit mode, red and green lines appear indicating the X axis and Y axis. If you click directly on one of these two axes, a blue diamond appears at the origin / symbol insertion point where the axes intersect. If you click on the blue diamond, you can "move" the origin to different places. However, this neither changes the 0,0 coordinates, nor the insertion point of the symbol. So why can the axes be moved in the first place? This has always puzzled me.

It seems that either the axes should not be clickable (sometimes they get in the way honestly), OR the functionality should be added allowing this to be a way to change a symbol's insertion point.

Unless there's something I'm missing?

Hope I understood the question right...

You can move the X and Y axis in order to define a new working plane. This does only affect the tools you are working with, but not the position of the objects on layer plane.

Try to move the axis and then click on "look at working plane" button to see how it works.

Edited by halfcouple
  • 3 years later...

Yeah that's true off course. But than you also have to reposition all the already places symbols.

Matching axis is important if you want to swap symbols. For example if you design a building build up with repeating/modular elements. 

If you say there is no default function to changes the axes then I know enough and will stop looking, and start scripting! 😄 After my vacation I will make a script that:

1. Get the location and rotation of the workplane. If the workplane is the same place as the symbol axis activate the workplane tool.

2. Move3d and rotate all objects within the symbol so they match with the workplane

3. Move3d and rotate the already places symbols in opposite position as step 2. So they stay at the same place.

Will post here when I'm done.

Edited by MarcelP102