Andy Broomell

Why can you move axes in Symbol Edit Mode?

When you double-click a 2D symbol to go into edit mode, red and green lines appear indicating the X axis and Y axis. If you click directly on one of these two axes, a blue diamond appears at the origin / symbol insertion point where the axes intersect. If you click on the blue diamond, you can "move" the origin to different places. However, this neither changes the 0,0 coordinates, nor the insertion point of the symbol. So why can the axes be moved in the first place? This has always puzzled me.

It seems that either the axes should not be clickable (sometimes they get in the way honestly), OR the functionality should be added allowing this to be a way to change a symbol's insertion point.

Unless there's something I'm missing?

Posted (edited)

Hope I understood the question right...

You can move the X and Y axis in order to define a new working plane. This does only affect the tools you are working with, but not the position of the objects on layer plane.

Try to move the axis and then click on "look at working plane" button to see how it works.

Edited by halfcouple