Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Lists in lists

Palle

Hi all, 

I'm building a script that generates a row of hanging long sheets of vinyl for a theatre production. To randomize how they fall on the floor, I want to alter the individual values of coordinates that define the NURBS curves they are built out of. I would generate the list of randomized coordinates, and feed that into the curve node, but since the NURBS curves are defined by a LIST of coordinates, I can't make it work. I can't feed a list into a list, without the last list collating the values in to one list? 

Suggestions are much appreciated, 

Palle

lists in lists.vwx

To be clear - the task for me is to make x copies of the hanging sheet shown in the file. Can anybody suggest a better way to get x copies of it with randomized properties? In reality it's only two z-values per sheet that needs randomization. 

Palle

• 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If your NURBS surfaces always follow the same curvature and change only in the length that they lay on the floor, you can create a bunch of surfaces that are the same size, then use the Extend NURBS node to extend each in a random manner. The Extend NURBS node only takes a single length value as the extension, so inputting a random list of lengths to extend a list of surfaces should work.