Spotlight Plot & Model View issue

symo

Question

I tried posting this in the Entertainment forum - but its still driving me nuts.

Im trying to use the PAMV command to show LED strip lighting symbols on vertical trusses for both lighting plots and renders/section viewports. The problem Im having is that the most of the LED strip lighting symbols I import rotate in the Model viewport after I run the command. Most of the LED strip symbols I import do this - some dont. All Im wanting to do is have the strips remain vertical on the trusses.

1570294480_ScreenShot2019-06-03at21_39_45.thumb.png.7b4604e4207a5fce5a6a6c304db78781.png

The LED strip will show perfectly in the Definition layer, even in 3D views but will almost always end-up being rotated in the Model layer. The angle of the LED strip changed when you move the DLVP in the model layer.

Ive tried using different truss symbols - but the problem remains. Ive used the PAMV command for conventional lights (profiles & cans) successfully, so Im pretty sure Im not doing anything wrong.

VW file attached.

Plot_and_model_view_issue.vwx

Edited by symo

6 answers to this question

The instrument will need to be given a focus point for it to focus in the correct positions. Otherwise it will focus back to it's original instance on the definition layer. Not ideal.

However I don't think this will entirely solve your problem. It may be more appropriate in this case to duplicate the instrument symbol and remove the parts records. That will keep the symbol exactly as it is orientated and allow you to rotate Instrument around the X and Y axes.

For any rendered beam to focus in the correct position, you will still need to assign a focus point for each instrument i'm afraid.

I've reattached the file to show you what I mean.

Plot_and_model_view_issue.vwx

Hi Markdd

Many thanks for that - and the file. 

Re your suggestion of removing the parts record - what negative consequences will this have? I see it fixed the issue I was having perfectly - but wondering what issues I might discover also.

Cheers again.

4 hours ago, symo said:

Re your suggestion of removing the parts record - what negative consequences will this have? I see it fixed the issue I was having perfectly - but wondering what issues I might discover also.

If you duplicate the symbol then and use it for this particular use then I cannot think of any particular downside. 

4 hours ago, symo said:

Also - removing the parts records - is this just editing symbol in 3D, highlighting each part - then unticking base/yoke/body/lens/point?

Yes. Just edit the 3D portion and untick the various 3D components.

• Like 1