Single twist steel rod and bar...

Hi, Kevin and Pat. I"m still having trouble creating the desired form and wondering if you could elaborate a little on proper technique here. The Deform tool is one I don't have much experience using. I extruded the rod and then selected the end with the deform tool. As I rotate (twist) it does this within itself so really nothing changes. How does one end up with the screw like spiral I'm trying to achieve? Thanks again for any help on this.

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.20.52 AM.png

Thanks, Kevin. I see now. The square extrusion is not a problem. I needed to do this on both a square extrude and a rod-like one. I might be able to get away with adding the square twist to the rod extrusion..will take a look at that. Is twisting the rod, with proper appearance, not possible?

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 9.42.41 AM.png

It's the corners that give you the look. IRL, I don't think twisting a round rod will give you the appearance you want. I imagine that in your model and in fabrication you'll have to transition from the rectangle to the circle. IRL, the welds can be ground down to make the transition appear seamless. Virtually, I would add a subdivision element to make the transition, of to make the entire piece. That's appreciably more complex modeling.

OK, lots of ways. Here is a Loft Surface one for the control freaks.

Learned this from islandmon about a million years ago!

It's giant. Rescale as needed.

This might better replicate the forge work which can compensate for stretching the metal during the twist by pushing it back together.

For more accurate model, parameters should indicate dimensions of the squared portion of the round bar. Photo shows it didn't thin out.

Probably could get similar with:

• Fewer NURBS Curves in the stack with greater rotation each.

• Square corners on the transition and twist NURBS Curves. Fillet after.

But I didn't test.

Same technique applies to the square bar, but easier, because no transition needed.

Stack up the NURBS squares, rotate the middle NURBS enough each lift to make the 180° twist.

Fillet the edges after if desired.

Fun challenge!

-B

Twister.vwx

TwistRod.png

• Like 1