DLVP and Raked Truss - Hybrid Error

Doing my best to learn Vectorworks in 3D, as I came from a theater school and we've always worked in 2D never needed to rake truss.

I've been doing a lot of reading about DLVP's around the forum and I thought it was going to be my answer! See my hybrid objects issue below.

Truss and Lighting are on separate layers, LX - Flown and Truss - Flown. Created the DLVP on LX Flown [RAKE], included the two other layers and still get the dreaded hybrid objects error. Can someone point me in the right direction or tell me what I'm doing wrong? I'd be really grateful. Just trying to get these trusses at a 15 degree angle.

Thanks!

152216219_ScreenShot2019-05-30at4_22_51PM.thumb.png.debcdeee0cdf945d60856aa8ed0b76be.png

Casey -

2 things:

1)  I'd recommend your fixtures and truss being on the same Design Layer.  Use Classes to organize "what" things are and Design Layers to organize "where" things are.  Therefore, using your example, same "where" = same Design Layer.

2)  Expanding on #1, a DLVP can't be raked unless it contains at least one Lighting Device.

Here is a link to a Webinar from several years ago that includes a segment on raking DLVPs:  http://www.landrudesign.com/Webinar2014FollowUp.htm.  While the video is old, the approach still works well (I used the technique 6 times in a design, today).

• Like 1

Andrew, 

This is all very helpful information. I'm going to change up my workflow as far as layers and classes go. Thank you!! On another note - I cannot play or download the video on my Mac or PC, any suggestions? I came across it earlier this week and was also unable to open it.

Cas

12 minutes ago, Casey Taylor said:

I cannot play or download the video on my Mac or PC, any suggestions?

Not sure what to tell you.  Like the video, itself, the format is old but I was able to play it at my end.

If you're a Service Select subscriber, the same video is available on this page:  https://serviceselect.vectorworks.net/training/webinars/tips-by-guest-presenters-and-vectorworks-power-users/2014/index/? .