Worth getting a dual processor motherboard?

After reading some forums here and talking with some other people is it worth building a computer with 2 cpus? When rendering in final quality everything is getting pulled from the cpu and not the gpu. is vectorworks compatible with a dual cpu motherboard? or in v20 is there a change in vectorworks where all rendering will be pulled from the gpu

Since I'm on this topic is it the same for vision?

Guest Selin

Hi @cwetstein I'll answer the Renderworks part of the question. It will still be using CPU only, as RW is based on the CineRender engine and CineRender doesn't have GPU accelerated renderings as of version 20. 

I don’t think it is worth a dual board though.

As you already can have 32 cores on a single board now

or more if you go Xeon or Epyc.

Maybe 64 soon for Threadripper ?

The renderers I love are all CPU based.

But for VW you could go Blender Eevee or Lumion or such

real time renderers which are GPU based.

I don't think it's worth it. If the performance of the 32-core threadripper isn't enough for you yet, you'd probably still be cheaper with a second threadripper computer than with a dual processor xeon board. With Cinema4D you have the possibility to combine the computing power of both computers.

You may also want to wait until autumn. AMD has just officially announced that the Threadrippers will get a 7nm update. Rumor has it that there will be up to 64 cores.

6 hours ago, herbieherb said:

I don't think it's worth it. If the performance of the 32-core threadripper isn't enough for you yet, you'd probably still be cheaper with a second threadripper computer than with a dual processor xeon board. With Cinema4D you have the possibility to combine the computing power of both computers.

I agree strongly with this. Dual CPU hardware is quite pricey, so much so that you rapidly enter the territory of distributed rendering solutions being much cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Paulo Ferrari

@zoomer I Agree, I access a good site to check quickly the best CPU Score in Cinebench R15 (Render Score). https://www.cpu-monkey.com/en/cpu_benchmark-cinebench_r15_multi_core-8 

According with this site (Score list), the best CPU to Rendering it's AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX (5189). (But probably, this site don't have all CPU that market have).

Regards
Paulo Renan Ferrari

Edited by Paulo Ferrari

The Threadripper 2990wx actually is the best you coul'd get for cpu rendering with cinema4d/vectorworks. The only systems that beat it are very expensive dual and more prozessor xeon machines. But for the price of these systems you coul'd also get yourself several threadripper machines that you use together with cinema 4d pro. So nothing beats the threadripper in cpu rendering atm.

Edited by herbieherb