Saved Views - Import and Export

BenCheck

Question

12 answers to this question

Looks like a good wish to me.

It can be done - in a way - by saving views in your Template File - then new files cloned form this will have those Saved View intact.

I came across this thread while searching for assigning Keyboard Shortcuts to Saved Views - eg

ctrl 1 (on the numerical keypad) for SV-1

ctrl 2 ( " ) for SV-2 etc.

maybe this is a separate wish.

Thanks bcd but that doesn't help pass views from file to file. It also doesn't help with any view that is set up after using the cloned template, and most views are set up after opening a template. This command would be especially helpful in instances where more than one person is working on the same file.

There should be an "Import/Export View" command under the "View" menu.

I can confirm that the method you outlined does work although it needs a bit of tweaking after pasting into the new file.

Although this is not a transfer of saved views directly it does offer a way to transfer a specific view between two files.

• The viewports come in without a name and can only be renamed in the object info dialogue. I recommend doing this or you will see a blank white list in the Organization Dialogue and it won't let you edit from there or the Navigation Palette.
  • It does not respect visibilities and these must be reset. This not be the case if the files have the same layers and classes - I did not test that.

In any case it is a decent work around for now. VW should really try to make this process easier - probably being able to import saved views would be best. It would allow an art director to easily set views and pass along without having to handle a complex working file or worry about the selected views not matching their intent.

FYI I do not see saved views in the resource manager.

image.thumb.png.466a5919e4c304631620744e184ebc91.png 

I agree that making saved views exportable would be useful. Another workaround option however is to create a renderworks camera of the view (using the "Match current view" option). Then cut it and paste in place into another file. Then save the view in the new file. 

I also use the method of grouping viewports a lot to transfer them from one file to another and it works well. You can use the eyedropper tool to match visibilities if the classes and layers are the same in each file.

Saved views are in the RM under scripts.