Line Tool - lines with arrowheads

Here?s the situation: I?m in the process of learning VectorWorks in classic workspace. I?ve imported a drawing/.dwg file and added dimensions and notes in VectorWorks. I?ve also assigned the dimensions, portions of the drawing and etc. to classes and layers.

Here?s the question: When I try draw or add lines to what I?ve imported I get lines with arrowheads on each end. I?ve spent many hours trying to figure out how to switch this off and on with no success. Any suggestions or tips would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Marc

you're defaulting to lines with arrowheads. This is controlled in two ways: your class settings and your attributes. Check the class that you're defaulting to as you draw, it probably has arrowheads as part of it's attributes. If that isn't solving the problem, try this:

With nothing selected, check your attributes pallete. If there are arrowheads selected as part of the attributes, turn them off.

Thanks Grant,

I'm trying to follow what you saying.

I think I'm missing some knowledge on classes.

I'm under the impression one chooses which class to use when drawing. I'm not ware of a default class for drawing. I'm not seeing a way to to turn arrowheads class settings.

Regarding attributes I'm wondering if you mean I should go to Page - Set Attributes Defaults - Set Arrow Attributes? I'm not seeing a way to to turn them off there.

Thanks,

Marc

There's an actual attributes pallete. Turn this on and watch to see what the attributes change to as you're selecting lines, and when you have nothing selected. Down at the bottom of that pallete you will see two check boxes for arrowheads, and a window showing you what type of arrowhead to produce.

Your current class will be the one shown in your classes pulldown menu. Opening up the classes menu and editing that class will show you probably that you have arrowheads selected, and that you are also choosing to "use attributes at creation."

You can choose to turn this option off or on. Turning it off will leave control back in the attributes pallete. Turning it on will override the attributes pallete and default attributes back to those set at the class.

Marc,

the Attributes palette that everyone's been talking about is that little palette that you use to set an object's lineweight, color, dash style, and fill type. Those are an object's attributes. The values shown on the palette are the values of the selected object. If no object is selected, the palette shows the default values that apply to newly created objects.

Arrowheads are another attribute of lines and arcs, just like lineweight and dash style. At the bottom of the Attributes palette are three tiny boxes that select whether there's an arrowhead on the left or right end, and what type of arrowhead it is.

(If your Attributes palette isn't visible, pull down Palettes > Attributes to toggle its visibility.)

Jan,

Ding Ding Ding Ding!

That?s it.

?(If your Attributes palette isn't visible, pull down Palettes > Attributes to toggle its visibility.)? was the key piece of information I was missing.

I thought everyone might be talking about the Object Info ? Shape panel which opens and sits over on right side of the screen.

Thanks Jan!

Thanks to everyone who tried to help my slow little mind.

Marc