Curtain Wall Tool

I'm trying to create this type of basement separation walls for a model:

1729183689_Capturedecran2019-05-24a11_09_54.thumb.png.f0bcc9a726c308d8cadd35524e3970a4.png1828174479_Capturedecran2019-05-24a11_10_04.thumb.png.36bce4d592f345921db411cb45ad12c8.png

I thought that this was a job for the curtain wall tool, so I tried to create a wall style for this, but I have a problem I can't solve:

1598397588_Capturedecran2019-05-24a11_10_44.thumb.png.9366fe28dd32a3562952fadbabbb1b2a.png

either the horizontal or the vertical wooden planks aren't continuous. they always get interrupted by the ones going in the opposite direction. Is there a fix for this? I can't find the option for it.

Do I have to make two separate curtain walls?

• Like 1
Guest Wes Gardner

@Phileas, yep that's the way the Curtain Wall tool was programmed - to simulate how curtain walls are typically built (with the verticals running continuous and the horizontals broken by the verts...) no way I know to change that (although I have asked for a "Make Horizontals Continuous" button"

Dunno if you'll get any joy from the Railing/Fence Tool??

As a workaround, you may be able to do just verticals with the Curtain Wall tool and then go back and "place" horizontally modeled objects on the wall.

Wes

@Wes Gardner I was thinking of making two separate curtain walls running parallel next to each other, I think that's gonna get me where I want to be.

I understand why there is no such "make horizontals continuous" checkbox as that is not the type of thing you'd model in a typical curtain wall, but I'd certainly be an appreciated option!

Thanks for you answer 🙂

• Like 1

You can make one"Horizontal" CW to have only a single field over the whole length,

while the "Vertical" CW having only 1 top and 1 bottom bar.

De/activate top/bottom/side bars for each CW accordingly to not get duplicate geometry.

As long as it is a single field, the horizontal bars will not get interrupted.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

I think I overestimated that you could deactivate the end bars top/bottom/start/end.

But you could assign an invisible Class.

You can deactivate Panels by setting them to opening.

For eliminating vertical or horizontal Bars, you can set a larger "Grid Spacing"

than the overall Wall Length or Height. That will basically prevent from any

extra Bars between start/end or top/bottom Bars.

Basically you could achieve your Fence with a single CW Wall,

but using 2 CW Walls (1 for horizontal, 1 for vertical Bars) allows to put the

horizontal Bars in front of the vertical Bars.

(Maybe that would also possible by playing with profile offest settings in a single CW Wall ?)

And I think it may be possible to create similar geometries by the Railing Tool ?

Edited by zoomer

@zoomer Yeah I already deactivated the Start/end/top/bottom bars by setting them to "Vitual" in the profile settings.

Panels already set to opening.

But I don't really get why you're saying that I should aim to have no bars between the top/bottom/start/end ones, since I definitely have to have a grid of continuous verticals in front of a grid of continous horizontals.

Putting the "Grid spacing" to 1000cm x 1000cm (larger than the wall) basically creates an invisible wall.

I fear I still don't get what you mean.

Here's what I did:

The reason why I'm not using the railing tool is because I want the geometry to be a "wall" so I can insert symbols into it.

30 minutes ago, zoomer said:

I think I overestimated that you could deactivate the end bars top/bottom/start/end.

But you could assign an invisible Class.

There is a "Virtual" setting in Frame settings, which hides unwanted

h/v/end bars.

30 minutes ago, zoomer said:

Basically you could achieve your Fence with a single CW Wall,

No.

crossed bars in a single CW Wall will always unwanted break the horizontal bars.

(Like in your first attempt)

That is why you may want to use 2 CW Walls on top of each other :

17 minutes ago, Phileas said:

But I don't really get why you're saying that I should aim to have no bars between the top/bottom/start/end ones

Because you want 1 CWW to have only horizontal bars and the 2nd CWW to

only have vertical bars.

You achieve this by setting larger grid than overall Wall length or height.

If you set opposite bars to virtual only, they would only be invisible but still

break the horizontal bars into pieces according to grid repetition.

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1

Interesting,

now I know too how to create such Fences in a PIO 🙂

But looking closer at your photos,

if these are like regular, same sized, standard Panels between vertical columns

and those opening elements, I would create them by simple Generic Solids and

pack them in a few Symbols and copy those along the Column Grid.

That is much better for file size and openGL speed.

• Like 1

zoomer-

we would all appreciate a review of fences with offset elements

a fence with continuous stringers on one side of posts- do you offset the posts as a profile or symbol or offset the stringers as a symbol or profile ?

fences work for fitting them to terrain versus flat slabs

I haven't thought that far with Railing Tool.

Custom posts from Symbols could be a solution for offsets (?)

Railing Tool has the advantage that you don't need to work against it

by deactivating end bars, glass panels and as it already provides

"columns"

🙂

As for fence-like "Panels" like your example,

creating a Symbol with nested Symbols for posts and stringers

would be the optimum in File Size and even nice for editing when

changing. But I would have simply created a whole "panel" Symbol

from separate standard Solids because I am lazy.

@zoomer The reason why I want to use a "wall" type object is because I want to be able to insert Symbols into these walls (for the doors), and I want to be able to move the door by 5cm without having to reshape every component.

I would have gone for solids in symbols as you're saying otherwise.

Inserting Doors will be problematic again when using 2 Walls over each other (?)

Not impossible though.

But for me the System looks like Grid-based with standard Modul sizes for the

"Fence Panels", where you want to avoid any special in between sizes if possible.

So trying to avoid leaving grid for just 5 cm of optimized Space ?

In such case there would be 3-5 different Symbol Moduls to create and adding

things up like Legos. I would prefer custom geometry instead of fighting with VW

PIOs. (Given how slow CW Walls are)

But I don't know your use case and if it works for you with CW Walls, that's fine.

@zoomer yeah I noticed CW are really slowing everything down...

and yes you're right inserting doors will still suck, I'll have to make 2 symbols: 1for the door with a 3D Hole component that cuts through one wall, and one in an invisible class with the same 3D hole component than the first one to cut the second wall.

don't know if this will be easier...

Oh, yes,

not only because you will need 2 openings but also because

you will normally insert them by replacing a single Panel

sitting between vertical and horizontal bars.

Which don't exist when separating a CW into 2 separate CWs

for horizontal and vertical bars each, which run over the whole

wall length ....

I just watched the "algorithmic design" webinar to become familiar with marionette.  If you are doing a lot of this type of construction, it seems to me that a script in marionette would allow you to accomplish your modeling and data requirements.  The presenter had several examples of very complex geometries that behaved parametrically.  It would probably be a bit of work to get it off the ground, but might save time after a few projects.  Check it out.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Phileas said:

@jeff prince yeah I thought about that too.

I already know my way aaround marionette a little, but the thing that kept me from using a script for this is that I'd struggle to insert the doors into the geometry...

Why wouldn’t you make the “doors” part of the script as your own custom plug in object?  Or teach the wall how to react to the insertion of the door?  Keep in mind I know nothing about how to execute this, just doing a thought exercise.  One of the examples In the video was actually folding doors that inserted into walls. I think you just have to think about the problem a little differently, your wall has rules based geometrical design and is repetitive.  If you were to model it manually, you would follow those rules, why not make the computer do it for you?

• Like 1

What about using a regular wall and  making a texture with transparency for the space between the wooden parts? It could be precise in plan, give a realistic appearance in sections and elevations, efficient for quantity takeoff. Could even have a symbol for the metal parts if you need to place them precisely. 

Just my 2 ISK 8-: