Christian Fekete

Template page creation

I was wandering how to extract a specific page layout from a file, i.e. front page of a bldg permit set, as a template page. Do I need to delete all the other pages and then purge the file first or do I create a symbol and export to a favorite template folder?

Please advise.

Thank you

CF 

Hi Christian. 

Slightly tricky question. Does the layout have any viewports?

You can’t make viewports into symbols.

But also if you make it as a template you can’t easily import that sheet layer into another file. The import function will not bring in sheet layer content - just the sheet layer itself. 

I think the intention with drawing templates is to have not only content but drawing organisation all set up complete with class, design, layers, sheet layers viewports, tool settings etc etc

if you just need the content then probably easier to make it a symbol sans any viewports. You would then have to create the viewports each time.

another option might be to make the front page a custom title block.  This is how we do it. That way you can update all the project info along with the other title blocks in the file.