Older versions of VW on older OSX

Jim Smith

Question

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro that runs OSX 10.6.8 that I've been reluctant to update to a newer OS as I don't know if things like VW 2008 or VW 12 will run with a newer OS.

My Question is; how "new" an OS can I install and still run these older versions of the software?

7 answers to this question

Thanks @Mark Mosher , I use a 3yro MacBook Pro running 10.13.6 & VW 2019 right now for 99% of my work. The older macbook is to open older files in their original format. I also have a client (a millwork shop) who asks me from time to time to give him files in Vectorworks 10 (I know, perhaps he should also update from Windows 98!). Not being able to use most websites from the old MacBook is a bit of a pain, so I was thinking of updated the OS, but the idea of losing the ability to run some older versions of VW has me on the horns of a dilemma. 

The public chart, but it doesnt go back far enough: 

This will give you a list of the macs and OS versions that work together: https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

Tech support has an official chart with the results that they tested directly, they can give you specifics about the older versions. I'm fairly certain 12.5.3 was compatible with the last PowerPC CPus but I cannot recall.

(Old habits die hard, lol)

• Like 2
Guest Alex Sagatov

@Jim Smith Vectorworks 2008 was last officially supported on 10.6. Vectorworks 12 was last officially supported on 10.5; however, we had reports of it running on 10.6 without significant issues.

Thanks @ASagatovVW . I have been able to open Vectorworks 12 running on my OS 10.6.8 MacBook, this allows me to back save files to Vectorworks 10. In the opposite direction I have been able to import some old Mini Cad files by opening them in VW12, then opening successive iterations of VW to bring these files "back to life". I suspect that I'm going to have to abandon much of this if I update this machine to a newer OS.