Imported DWG files very slow in vw

Ewaryst

Question

Basically it is impossible for me to work with VW on large scale projects. For example, I have to import a dwg file (size around 8mb) with a whole section of an office building, in import options I set to transform all 3d objects to 2d for smaller file size, than I use purge option and still I get vw file size around 80mb. Then the glitches... all the time, especially when I want to edit components - often a large part of the building is sat as one component like here:

Screenshot_4.thumb.png.d757d9bd2c25cfbbedba54007764047c.png

Zooming, moving, etc. inside the edit window it's a nightmare. Closing such a component takes a few minutes or sometimes never happens.
It's not the matter of hardware,  CPU runs on 15% and memory on 50%.
I start to believe that actually, it's impossible to work with current vw when it comes to complex DWG files. Am I right or is there a way to solve that problem?
I work on updated 2018 vw.

Cheers

Edited by Ewaryst

4 answers to this question

Guest Alex Sagatov

I’m not sure if it is one of the glitches you mention, but in the provided screenshot, it looks like a bunch of stuff is crammed up in the top/left of the import.

Any chance you could direct message me a copy of the DWG in question so I can dig into it?

Those elements that you talk about are classes (interior architecture design) that are above the 2d symbol which is the building construction:

Screenshot_4.thumb.png.6f60a30853b7912faade480e05e52898.png

that's how they look when I turn off the 2d symbol:

Screenshot_5.thumb.png.5ec328140efe86de4e57baf06ab6b566.png

And when I open the edit symbol window, the drawing gets bigger:

Screenshot_7.thumb.png.b66503300a12f4abf56e416fde988a2f.png

Guest Alex Sagatov

@Ewaryst

I’ve dug around in the DWG and I have narrowed down a few different items that should help along with some additional notes:

1) When importing the DWG, go into the advanced options of the DWG import > Conversion > and set it to import 2D only (nothing seems to be 3D?) and set the conversion resolution to low. This seems to help out a lot and I can’t really tell a difference in the geometry so far.

2) Make sure Unified View is turned on (View > Unified View should be checked). This helps with redraw speeds.

3) The majority of the slowness seems to be coming from the class called “TDG_podkład”. From looking around on this class, there is a large symbol and the main slowness is coming from this geometry along the exterior wall. This looks like it is duplicated at least 50 times around the drawing, and each instance is ~2,600 objects. Just this detailing is probably accounting for about half of the overall objects.

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 10.33.55 AM.png

Once adjusting the above items, the file seems to be working at a workable and standard speed in my testing so far.

A few quick notes to expand on this:

This file in general is importing over 800,000 objects. This is a lot of information that is required to redraw when zooming and entering/exiting editing modes.

If the kind of geometry above was placed in symbols, it would help some with the file size differences. Due to compression and general information saved in the files, DWGs tend to be significantly smaller than their VWX comparison. Seeing a 5x-10x file size jump isn’t rare in my experience. A lot of this has to do with differences in how we draft information. In this DWG that includes 800,000+ objects, we could get a very similar drawing in Vectorworks with significantly less objects.

If the geometry in this DWG was classed / layered a bit more, it would ideally be very easy to turn off this complex line work; however, based on how it is drawn, we would need to do quick a bit of work drafting over each one and then deleting the complex line work (unless we can just turn it off).

If it is okay with you, I would like to forward this DWG along to our Engineering Team. In this specific case, I don’t think we are looking at a bug per say, but we are looking at a good example of ways we could better handle imports and speed. I opened this file in AutoCAD and it seems to zoom around without any noticeable delay. It would be interesting if Engineering could find any ways of speeding up this kind of workflow.

Thanks! Those advices helped a lot.

Only problem is with this part:  

3) The majority of the slowness seems to be coming from the class called “TDG_podkład”. From looking around on this class, there is a large symbol and the main slowness is coming from this geometry along the exterior wall. This looks like it is duplicated at least 50 times around the drawing, and each instance is ~2,600 objects. Just this detailing is probably accounting for about half of the overall objects.

editing this symbol is impossible, I can enter the edit symbol window and delete part of the drawing but when I want to exit VW crashes.

Referring to the symbol size problem, most of the times I don't have any influence on how the DWG is saved and I just have to work on what is send to me.

Edited by Ewaryst