Redering Textures on Structural steel

HEengineering

Question

I find it almost impossible to do this.  When I set it by class it often does not apply to the steel.

When I try and add the texture to the steel in the render tab that doest seem to work either nor does the eye dropper tool apply a texture.

Some textures seem to have the rotation and scale sliders under the OBJ info render tab others don't??

I simply want to render a galvanized texture on all 4 beams so that it looks the same.

4 answers to this question

Guest Wes Gardner

Here's what I found with steel shapes using the three options, Structural Member Tool, Framing Member Tool, Wide Flange - 3D.

Seems if you use the Structural Member tool, you can adjust the scale, mapping, etc. of the texture right there in the OIP's Render tab.

The Framing Member tool does not allow editing of the texture from the OIP

The Wide Flange- 3D tool , the sttel shape (or whatever) has to be placed in a class for it to "take" a texture

Each one offers a "challenge"

Structural Member.png

Framing Member.png

Wide Flange - 3D.png

Many thank Wes!

I guess it would help If I knew there were 3 different ways to get a beam.  Yikes (now that you mention it Im doing a bit of a face palm because I should have recalled this)

My findings mirror yours, I guess the problem is I was using the "wide flange 3d". Ill grab the new structural member tool and give that a go.

Edited by HEengineering
Guest Wes Gardner

The Structural Member tool should be located in the Building Shell toolset - it has some anomalies but if it's a simple system you're after, this might work for you.

The Framing Member tool is located in the Detailing toolset - you'll need to set it up for steel shapes but for me, it's kind of the "old reliable"

Pick your poison 🙂

I DO wish we were a little more consistent throughout our tools...

Wes

For the most part we really like Vectorworks as its so versatile.  From CD packages to renderings and photo sims, it can all be done in VW.  For us that over shadows some of the other issues, but sometimes you can go down the rabbit hole quick!

Most the time Im modeling this for a camera match setup (making it not all that critical beyond textures), which is also a great tool.  Camera Match alone has been a huge game changer for us in terms of efficiency and flexibility.

Edited by HEengineering