Snap Point Hierarchy

Hi There:

Is there a way to reorganize how Vectorworks prioritizes snap points?  It's a little agitating constantly having to zoom in and out because I want to snap to center points on smallish objects and Vectorworks is obsessed with the corners.

I guess I could use the snap loupe to help with this, but if I could just nicely ask Vectorworks to prefer centers to corners it would make things so much easier.

Edited by Jackmill1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Jackmill1 We do have Master Snap points to help prioritize what is snapped to. This can help when you have a bunch of snap points in a small area. Here is an article with more information:

http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2019/eng/index.htm#t=VW2019_Guide%2FBasic2%2FObject_Snapping.htm&rhsearch=master snap&rhhlterm=master snap&rhsyns=

Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, TomKen said:

Instead of zooming in and out hit the 'Z' key and you will get temporary magnification window wherever you cursor is located.

How often does the "Z" key work for you? I have about a 50% chance of that working. I attribute the issue to me not really understanding when to click after the "Z" key is depressed, a nd then the whole thing ends up taking three times longer than zooming in and clicking once.

The snap loupe / Z key I think is a usable workaround, but to me it breaks my focus.  When zooming in and out I can keep my eyes and focus set on the object that I'm trying to work on.  When I hit Z and pull up the snap loupe I have to readjust what I'm looking at and reorient myself to the snap loupe, and then again when it closes.

It's not that the snap loupe isn't a solution here, it's that it breaks my concentration enough to not like to rely on it.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, mjm said:

How often does the "Z" key work for you? I have about a 50% chance of that working. I attribute the issue to me not really understanding when to click after the "Z" key is depressed, a nd then the whole thing ends up taking three times longer than zooming in and clicking once.

I think you press and hold ?

I think you only have to press it once.

Pressing again will zoom in further.