Jump to content

Hello Community!

This Saturday, May 30, from 9am – 12pm EDT we will be performing maintenance on the Vectorworks Community Board. During this time, the site will be unavailable.

Phileas

show elements in sections and not in elevations

Recommended Posts

I'd like to know if it is possible to show the difference in insulating material on the bottom end of these façades in section VPs, since they are fairly important informations, but have them not show up in elevations, as they create a line in the middle of a façade that's not supposed to be there, as I want  the wall to show up as 1 continuous object.

1947919814_Capturedecran2019-05-21a10_58_20.thumb.png.b134bf7b6f845a66880bb51c1fcfea87.png

basically have these line disappear in elevations VPs, without deleting the object since I still want it in sections views.

 

How'd I achieve that?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Presumably in reality the 'insulating material' is not actually what forms the outside surface: perhaps you have insulation that then has render on it?

 

I think you need to make both wall sections have the same external finish layer (even if you only make it a few mm thick). In that case it will not show as a line.

 

Then you can have different insulation materials behind that external finish layer.

Share this post


Link to post

@line-weight yeah I thought about that.

 

The problem is that I have to keep the walls without inner or outer finish (The way my boss wants this stage of the project to look like on paper).

 

So this doesn't solve my proble... 😞

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Phileas said:

@line-weight yeah I thought about that.

 

The problem is that I have to keep the walls without inner or outer finish (The way my boss wants this stage of the project to look like on paper).

 

So this doesn't solve my proble... 😞

I think you might have to tell your boss that they can't have what they want!

 

If you don't want the finishes to show in the sections, you might be able to do this by putting them in a special class which is then turned off or over-ridden in the section viewports?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

@line-weight If only I could tell you how often I've told my boss that this is not possible... I stopped counting.

 

I've thought about putting the finish-layer in a separate class and use it to toggle it's visibility, this was my emergency solution in case none of you guys had a better Idea.

 

I also thought about having the normal insulation layer of the wall go down through the special insulation, and simply turn off the special one's class in elevations, while having it overwrite the standard one in sections (have the normal one further in Background). Would that work as well?

 

I was actually looking for other ideas in this thread, hoping you guys knew something that I don't.

Share this post


Link to post

The foreground/background concept doesn't work in elevations/sections, I don't think. That's for plan view when elements are effectively represented with 2d symbols.

 

If you put the insulation in two insulation classes, insulation-standard and insulation-special, then in the elevation viewport, override insulation-special to be rendered as insulation-standard, does that remove the line?

Share this post


Link to post

I still have the problem of lines appearing at the top and bottom of pieces of wall in elevation and in section! and each side too....There must be a simple way to turn these off?

Screenshot 2019-05-21 at 13.22.47.png

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 14.02.19.png

Share this post


Link to post
27 minutes ago, HWood said:

I still have the problem of lines appearing at the top and bottom of pieces of wall in elevation and in section! and each side too....There must be a simple way to turn these off?

Screenshot 2019-05-21 at 13.22.47.png

Screenshot 2019-05-14 at 14.02.19.png

do you want to post the file?

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, HWood said:

Thanks @line-weight, the file keeps failing to upload though 😞

 

try putting it in a zip file?

Share this post


Link to post

same problem with everything except open GL it seems....and that is not suitable for tender drawings that will be issued in black and white and need to be kept clean.

 

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, HWood said:

Finally! I've just grabbed a small bit. Could it be a render problem? The viewports are all rendered as hidden line....

Vwx problem 3.vwx

I actually can't open that because I'm on VW2018 - sorry! You'd have to save it in VW2018 format.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, line-weight said:

The foreground/background concept doesn't work in elevations/sections, I don't think. That's for plan view when elements are effectively represented with 2d symbols.

 

If you put the insulation in two insulation classes, insulation-standard and insulation-special, then in the elevation viewport, override insulation-special to be rendered as insulation-standard, does that remove the line? 

unfortunately, as @HWood said, the lines on the top and bottom end still show up... which was my original problem 😞

 

As I said, I have a few Ideas on how to fix this, but don't really like any of them, so I figured I'd just ask around here.

Share this post


Link to post

@HWood If you need a real quick, but not really satisfying solution: you can always render you VPs with the line, and then hide these lines by drawing over them in the annotations of the VP.

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, HWood said:

i've highlighted the unwanted lines in red in the sheet layer.

Vwx problem 3 v2018.vwx

 

I've had a bit of a look and can't see anything obvious that is causing the problem.

 

However if I duplicate two of the problem walls, fiddle about and re-align them with each other, then they seem to draw as they should.

 

I think it's just one of those situations where VW has decided they are slightly out of alignment with each other, which is usually fixed by re-drawing the objects. Annoying I know.

 

Now I am having problems re-uploading the fixed version - but here is a screenshot of the two wall pieces I've pulled out and re-stuck together.

 

1245693421_ScreenShot2019-05-21at15_55_52.thumb.jpg.270c66df6ac92f3c4cd69148b7c9bcef.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post

Thank you very much for your time! It happens at every junction between storeys and types of wall - I thought it must be something to do with a cap in the wall style....Do you think the section can be the same issue? The section viewport is cut automatically so it can't be that the walls are out of alignment at the cut plane....

Share this post


Link to post

@line-weight looks fine to me! How did you achieve that? care to give a little step by step guide?

 

I couldn't figure out how to overwrite the rendering of my insulation-special class in a VP, was that your solution?

Share this post


Link to post
59 minutes ago, HWood said:

Thank you very much for your time! It happens at every junction between storeys and types of wall - I thought it must be something to do with a cap in the wall style....Do you think the section can be the same issue? The section viewport is cut automatically so it can't be that the walls are out of alignment at the cut plane....

 

I think possibly they need to be aligned properly so that VW knows they should be 'stuck together' rather than just next to each other.

 

But I think you also need to tick the box 'merge structural objects with same fill' to get rid of the line in section.

 

(By the way I would change 'line style' of 'objects beyond fill plane' to 'use class' and then specify a class with a thinner lineweight that then one used to draw the section plane.)

 

1153938701_ScreenShot2019-05-21at17_01_23.thumb.jpg.ad5529d04b07f2f95518a5b9f60fc16c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Phileas said:

@line-weight looks fine to me! How did you achieve that? care to give a little step by step guide?

 

I couldn't figure out how to overwrite the rendering of my insulation-special class in a VP, was that your solution?

 

In that case I just fiddled around with the elements to make sure they were exactly aligned with each other. Because the walls run at an angle in plan, I straightened them both to be parallel with the X/Y grid, then re-angled one of them to the correct angle, then put the other one in alignment with it using snaps.

 

I'm now not quote sure what's going on with yours because I did a quick experiment, two wall styles with different component classes, elevation view does not show a line between them. Will have to come back to this tomorrow though!

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...