Change fixture type

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We are very sorry for this and realized the missing feature not long ago. I'm trying to get it bumped up on the priority list. Hopefully using MVR makes things a little easier in the short term 😉 I assure you, this is something we'd like to get resolved sooner than later as it has caused a lot of users headache!

• Like 1

Thanks. It's just frustrating. I had VW build me a profile for a PRG Best Boy GC to replace a standard Best Boy. I thought that it would be a simple swap. I've done a bunch of fixture adjustments in Vision, so I really don't want to have to re-export the drawing from VW. I may just delete the fixture and add in the proper one.

I also had an issue with Vision not showing the new profile even after you guys had uploaded it and I updated fixtures in Vision. I had to have him send me the wad file to get it incorporated. This happens on a Mac and a PC.

• 4 months later...

Was pouring over old posts and forgot about this one. Get out there and download 2020! We've added a "Replace Selected Fixtures" to Vision's Scene Graph Dock Context Menu 😄

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 8.11.22 AM.png

One thing I do want to point out is that even though we added this feature to Vision, you should try your best to always make your changes in VW and leverage the MVR workflow. I understand this isn't always possible which is why we wanted to add in the feature. But if you make this change in Vision and then send your document from VW to Vision it will trash these changes! Just forewarning!! 😛

Just now, bhorowitz said:

What does 'Flip winding order' do?

Most rendering engines do something called "face culling" for performance reasons. Essentially, what this boils down to is: in the real world, you can never see more than 3 sides of a cube. This is true for rendering as well.

When Face Culling is Off in Vision, we render all 6 sides. When Face Culling in On, we only render the 3 visible camera-facing sides.

Face Culling relies on Winding Order.

Winding order specifies whether the 3 vertices that make up a triangle are wound CW or CCW.

Flip Winding Order converts CW to CCW and visa versa 😉

Truth be told, because our engine uses something called deferred rendering, Face Culling doesn't seem to make THAT much of a difference in performance. Due to some bugs with VW winding order, we generally just leave "Face Culling" turned off 🙂