Is it possible to add simple text to a dimension on a dimension string, with or without affecting the accuracy or placement of the dimension? 

For example: 

• Add +/- at the end of a dimension to indicate some field variance is expected.
  • Add "New" or "Existing" or "Verify in Field" to indicate that a condition of task associated with the dimension.

Thank you

In the Object Info Palette (OIP) you have fields for Leader, Trailer, and Notes. There is also a pull down menu for Tolerance.

You can use these fields to add the text you are looking at adding.

Leader is in line with the primary dim in front of the dim. Trailer is in line with the primary dim behind the dim. Notes is on a separate line below the primary Dim.

What Pat said ^

Plus, if working with a string or chain dimension, right click any individual dimension within the chain, and in the context menu select "Edit Dimension".  In the edit dialog, add or adjust text or values in the Leader, Trailer, or Notes fields (or any of the other fields). This action only affects the individual dimension.

If the chain is selected (identified as a Dimension object in OIP), any change to the Leader, Trailer, or Notes fields appends that new info to every dimension in the chain.  This action would overwrite any previous edits to same field in individual dimensions in the chain.

-B 

Edited by Benson Shaw
clarity?
  • Like 3
49 minutes ago, Benson Shaw said:

What Pat said ^

Plus, if working with a string or chain dimension, right click any individual dimension within the chain, and in the context menu select "Edit Dimension".  In the edit dialog, add or adjust text or values in the Leader, Trailer, or Notes fields (or any of the other fields). This action only affects the individual dimension.

If the chain is selected (identified as a Dimension object in OIP), any change to the Leader, Trailer, or Notes fields appends that new info to every dimension in the chain.  This action would overwrite any previous edits to same field in individual dimensions in the chain.

-B 

Thing I've found when working with the Leader/Trailer fields is to add an appropriate "space" after/before the text you insert, so the text does not run up against the dimension

771264774_ScreenShot2019-05-20at1_26_19PM.thumb.png.16c123e4fa1e0378fa42ce6d24f0897d.png

• Like 1

Thank you all ... both for the tips and for helping me see that there's a difference between a simple dimension or dimension string and a dimension that's part of a Grid Bubble string.  I realized from your comments that the Grid Bubble dimension doesn't act the way a regular dimension does in this respect.  I'll plan more carefully the next time.

Thanks again.

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

And,,, "leader" and "trailer" only work together if "both" is selected for text "dual view" of units. (??) And,, when "both" is selected the trailer and leader only show in front or behind the "secondary units" and no trailer and leader for primary sitting innocently above secondary. But only if the dimension was first placed with "secondary only" selection then changed. Seems like some code got stepped on in the writing process and never corrected.

• 1 month later...

A coda to the comment above.  Vectorworks is so strange sometimes.  I found a workaround...  

So I discovered that if you decompose a chain dimension it will create a series of individual dimensions. You can then edit the note field of the individual dimensions.  Once complete, compose the dimension and VW creates a chain dimension with notes in certain fields, but not others.

Who would have ever guessed...

ScreenShot2024-02-20at5_50_16PM.thumb.png.41f82e681d37e3fc82f7958029a248ab.png

Edited by cberg
  • Like 4

If you already have a chain dimension, you can right click on one of the dimensions and choose "Edit Dimension." Then in the pop-up window that looks like the OIP, you can type in a Note and have it affect only the dimension you right clicked on. This approach can also be used for Precision and other properties.

• Like 4
32 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

If you already have a chain dimension, you can right click on one of the dimensions and choose "Edit Dimension." Then in the pop-up window that looks like the OIP, you can type in a Note and have it affect only the dimension you right clicked on. This approach can also be used for Precision and other properties.

Oooooh, I just learned something. I needed it only ten minutes ago 😊

Kevin

It's a very hidden functionality - It would be 1000% better if it were pre-highlighted in the Contextual Menu -  rather than whatever random command is in the position of your cursor at that particular zoom level.

Copy, Create Objects from Shapes, Send to Surface .....

image.png.f264dac83e3ca3b011f1802203a96b3d.pngimage.png.16fb58151936732b54f8726719ebe422.png

image.thumb.png.683650007003bde26923de4b5ff52df0.png

• Like 1