Japanese Font Issue VW 2019 Mac Version

Kohli

Question

Hi,

We use US version of VW 2019. I'm having difficulty using japanese texts in our file. We were using Osaka font, which comes pre-installed on mac and worked fine. But if we use any other ttf japanse font, it works okay for print command but once we publish pdfs, all japanese characters become boxes. Any way to fix it?

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

This is an Adobe issue and copyright issue more than a VW issue.

The PDF standard (by Adobe) says that if a font can not be guaranteed to be not copyrighted then the font can't be embedded into the PDF. That means that anyone who does not already have a copy of the font will see a font substitution. Likely a box.

Can you use a different genuine Adobe font so the font can be embedded in the PDF?

@Pat Stanford Thanks for the reply Pat. I'm not very familiar with the encoding of fonts and how it works, but if I understand you correctly, the font shouldn't print (or pdf) but on the contrary, I can make a pdf of the single sheet using print command; but it doesn't work for the publishing. Is there a way to define which font should it replace for only unsupported characters, but keep using the same for supported characters. I can, of course, use a different font but that's not what we want to do.