Musical instrument / backline symbols

2 hours ago, James H. said:

Awesome resource. Thank you @scottmoore! Now if only there was a decent library of image prop musicians, 'rock-stars', and musical event entourage people to go along with it... Anyone have any good resources to share or point me to? Many thanks!

Thanks! I’ve been using silhouettes for my renders or occasionally image props. Seems like anytime I’ve tried using 3D models of anything, the first thing a client says is a snarky comment about that!  

I’ve started a process of adding both a silhouette and a mannequin directly to specific symbols and then using classes to turn on or off the one you want. But then we are back “classing” which I know drives many people nuts. Myself included. 

Hey @scottmoore

These look awesome! I wanted to ask if you've had the chance to see how these look in Vision. I can see a lot of users wanting to use these symbols for Vision as well, however Vision will currently only support image based textures. Not sure how you textured these, but I'd be curious to see the results. 

• Like 1

I’ve not really checked them in Vision. I used to be a Vision user in the early days of the product and I did use these or earlier versions of these symbols and I recall them working.

Most of the textures are indeed images. Some utilize images with some amount of reflectivity to create gloss or lacquer appearances.  A few are simply reflective “gloss” surfaces. I don’t believe Vision supports any kind of reflections but I would imagine they should work pretty well. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, BSeigel said:

These look awesome! I wanted to ask if you've had the chance to see how these look in Vision. I can see a lot of users wanting to use these symbols for Vision as well, however Vision will currently only support image based textures. Not sure how you textured these, but I'd be curious to see the results. 

14 hours ago, scottmoore said:

I’ve not really checked them in Vision. I used to be a Vision user in the early days of the product and I did use these or earlier versions of these symbols and I recall them working.

Most of the textures are indeed images. Some utilize images with some amount of reflectivity to create gloss or lacquer appearances.  A few are simply reflective “gloss” surfaces. I don’t believe Vision supports any kind of reflections but I would imagine they should work pretty well. 

Just dropped a few random symbols into a VW file and sent to Vision via MVR and everything looks great!

Test-20190531075012.thumb.jpg.f710cde67e4f826bb81b1fc6c8fa4ffe.jpg

• Love 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@scott moore I just wanted to chime in here and say WOW!! Some outstanding modelling here...

4 hours ago, LJ TMS said:

Just dropped a few random symbols into a VW file and sent to Vision via MVR and everything looks great!

@LJ TMS One thing that would increase the quality of that still rendering is to check the "Enable Shadows" checkbox! You'll start to get the "full effect" of the content being "on stage" 🙂 There is also a way you can possibly make the content look even better! 😄

I don't have these VW symbols to check the textures, but someone did mention that a lot of these materials are using image shaders and not procedurally generated ones! That is great news for Vision!!

Unfortunately, there is a bug causing MVR to only export the main shader/texture image.

However, if you can export the advanced shader images out of VW or locate the advanced images on your hard drive (or if @scott moore would be willing to include the images in his package), these can then be assigned in Vision's Materials section of the Properties Palette! So, in theory, you can get Bump, Transparency, and Reflectivity Shader Images into Vision to fully leverage the Vision 2019 rendering engine and its advanced materials!! I'm not sure that @scott moore created normal maps with this content as VW doesn't support it, but if normal maps are available those can be applied in Vision as well!

(We are working on the VW bug to get texture exports happening automagically via MVR 😉)

I would love to see this content fully leveraged in Vision 2019 for the highest quality and performance and can work with you guys in this thread to make that happen!! Is anyone willing to give this a shot?? Step one is simply trying to get the advanced image shaders onto your desktop or in a random folder somewhere for Vision to use!

On 5/31/2019 at 4:18 PM, bbudzon said:

However, if you can export the advanced shader images out of VW

Can you explain the process to do this?

On 5/31/2019 at 4:18 PM, bbudzon said:

or locate the advanced images on your hard drive (or if @scott moore would be willing to include the images in his package), these can then be assigned in Vision's Materials section of the Properties Palette

I can give this a shot if @scottmoore wants to send me a few of the images used?

@bbudzon I see where to assign textures in the Materials dropdown of Properties  but how would you go about mapping correctly on the object (map type, scale, H offset, V offset, rotation) that you have in the VW Render tab?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, LJ TMS said:

Can you explain the process to do this?

@LJ TMS

I'm actually going to pull @klinzey into this part as I'm not as familiar with VW.

Alternatively, if @scottmoore would be willing to provide the advanced material images in .png/.jpg format, getting the images out of VW would be moot.

3 minutes ago, LJ TMS said:

but how would you go about mapping correctly on the object

Vision takes the uv texture coordinates from the main texture and uses them for bump/reflectivity/alpha/normal maps 😉 So, it should more or less "just work". While it is possible to map each texture onto the object in a different way, it doesn't seem to be common practice.

2 minutes ago, bbudzon said:

Vision takes the uv texture coordinates from the main texture and uses them for bump/reflectivity/alpha/normal maps 😉 So, it should more or less "just work". While it is possible to map each texture onto the object in a different way, it doesn't seem to be common practice. 

So if I understand correctly, you could use whatever controls you wanted to map the main texture properly to the object in VW (map type, scale, H offset, V offset, rotation), send to Vision, then replace out the bump/reflectivity/alpha/normal textures and they will match up to however the main texture is mapped?

Just now, LJ TMS said:

So if I understand correctly, you could use whatever controls you wanted to map the main texture properly to the object in VW (map type, scale, H offset, V offset, rotation), send to Vision, then replace out the bump/reflectivity/alpha/normal textures and they will match up to however the main texture is mapped?

Yup! This is the way the Sponza Demo File works if you take a look at that 😉I highly recommend playing around with the textures in VW/Vision to get a feel for things. You can use the images from the Sponza Demo File as a POC. I particularly find the plant textures from the sponza model interesting as they leverage alpha masks and rgb reflectivity maps!

• 2 months later...

Just bought this today finally - perfect for a new job we started.  Thanks for making this.

Question - If I wanted to globally kill the textures (don't hate me) - is there an easy way to do that?  Does just deleting the tex folder from the RM take care of that or will it just throw up errors?

I'm still using my hi poly gear in Cinema 4D for renders, just need these for drafting and open GL, so I want it all white.  Any thoughts appreciate.

Thanks again!

e.

5 minutes ago, EAlexander said:

Just bought this today finally - perfect for a new job we started.  Thanks for making this.

Question - If I wanted to globally kill the textures (don't hate me) - is there an easy way to do that?  Does just deleting the tex folder from the RM take care of that or will it just throw up errors?

I'm still using my hi poly gear in Cinema 4D for renders, just need these for drafting and open GL, so I want it all white.  Any thoughts appreciate.

Thanks again!

e.

Yep, deleting the textures folder will remove all textures from the geometry (obviously backup the vwx first so you can always get back the original library w/ textures).

After viewing the 3D components of some of the symbols after removing textures, it looks like many of them have colors set (amps dark gray, cymbals yellow, etc). This script by Pat Stanford (Convert Objects in Symbol to ByClass) would help you achieve your all white look. Since everything is on the "None" class, running that would convert the symbol contents to "By Class" with a white fill. You would just need to place an instance of each symbol on the Design Layer to run the script against (still much faster than editing each symbol individually).

• Like 1
1 hour ago, EAlexander said:

Its funny that I had this thread open to buy these symbols this morning and these updates appeared when I sat back down at my computer... I guess we're all working with music setups today 🙂

1 hour ago, EAlexander said:

You could also just turn textures/colours off in the OpenGL render settings. I do it all the time both in the design layers while working and in sheet layer viewports for drafting sheets.

Kevin

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...