Printing VW Site Model

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 11/15/2019 at 9:43 PM, Mark Mullany said:

I have an Ender 3 at home and use Cura to generate the print files. I did find that Cura couldn't handle a site model directly

Hi Mark,

Sorry this is an old thread, but... I have a job where it would be handy to be able to show their renovation in-situ.

image.thumb.png.f3d6effc4d5b2ea2b8ba24c324cf081a.png

I am almost there with Cura, but would appreciate your input please. Incidentally, I was able to scale within Cura rather than having to import the STL back into VW.

1. Is it possible to get the smoothed version from VW, rather than the faceted version that is created with he STL?

2. Those dreaded roof overhangs!

I have tried converting the site to a mesh, but still end up with an angular site. Not the end of the world, but it would be better smoothed out without having to redo the site model:

image.thumb.png.c47c057b6df4c2c76053c566335a6e28.png

I haven't done a building print yet, but have spent much time worrying about soffits, eaves, overhangs, etc. For a larger scale model I imagine that printing the roof separate from the walls would be the best idea!?! I did wonder about printing upside down, but that's a lot of support structure to remove!

In this instance, I'd rather just be down and dirty and printing upside down would add extra time and material, not just for the roof and site, but also the finials!

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

On 4/28/2021 at 4:34 AM, MaleXLR said:

Hi Mark,

Sorry this is an old thread, but... I have a job where it would be handy to be able to show their renovation in-situ.

image.thumb.png.f3d6effc4d5b2ea2b8ba24c324cf081a.png

I am almost there with Cura, but would appreciate your input please. Incidentally, I was able to scale within Cura rather than having to import the STL back into VW.

1. Is it possible to get the smoothed version from VW, rather than the faceted version that is created with he STL?

2. Those dreaded roof overhangs!

I have tried converting the site to a mesh, but still end up with an angular site. Not the end of the world, but it would be better smoothed out without having to redo the site model:

image.thumb.png.c47c057b6df4c2c76053c566335a6e28.png

I haven't done a building print yet, but have spent much time worrying about soffits, eaves, overhangs, etc. For a larger scale model I imagine that printing the roof separate from the walls would be the best idea!?! I did wonder about printing upside down, but that's a lot of support structure to remove!

In this instance, I'd rather just be down and dirty and printing upside down would add extra time and material, not just for the roof and site, but also the finials!

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Hi there, what would happen if you print the project in parts? The hills separate from the buildings might give more detail and less support to cut away. If you dm me the file I could give it a try converting to different line types. 

Regards, JB

I did try just the site model on its own, but still couldn't get it looking smooth. I didn't want just the contour lines as per your print, but the smoothing just seems to be cosmetic for rendering and traditional rather than 3D printing.

Thanks, I'm happy to send the file. Will just have to remember to dig it out while I'm in the office.