window sill and glazing bar glitches

I'm in VW2019,  I've modelled a nice window but can't get the sill to sit underneath it. I've even taken the settings off a window with a perfect sill but it doesn't work on teh new window as the sill is offset to one side. I tried modifying a copy of the good window but then the glazing bars don't show up. I've tried restarting Vectorworks but it doesn't help. Does anyone know what is going on here?  

glazing bars ok, sill wrong.png

windows ISO.png

sill ok, no glazing bars showing.png

I have had this problem since before 2016 and reported it to Vectorworks, nothing was ever done about it and every time there is a new release or a point revision I try it again and still no joy, it is the most annoying glitch and makes modelling a lot more difficult because I now model the windows and set them into walls individually which means they are not able to move without a lot of work. I really wish this problem was solved so that I could model in the correct way which would save me hours and hours!

Guest Wes Gardner

The way I see it there're at least three issues here - the muntins not showing, the sill not located correctly and the height is incorrect.

This'll take me a bit of time to weed through...the first question regarding the muntins not showing, in your Custom Sash dialog, you need to check the box "Include Muntins" - see image (sorry, I changed the units to that archaic "feet and inches" but that shouldn't affect the muntins...).  And you need to check that box for EACH selected sash.  What's interesting is that you DO NOT get a preview in this dialog...sorry, I don't write the code, I just try to make it work...

I'll work on the elevations next...

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 12.05.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 12.29.59 PM.png

Guest Wes Gardner

Next - Window elevations - if you want your windows to be set by head height or sill height you're going to NOT want to have a Height value  - see attached  image where it says Height 2600 - that is going to ADD 2600 mm to the elevation that you have set at 2100.  Does that make sense?

There is a getting started tutorial on our website

I've also included a copy of your file so you can experiment.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 1.04.51 PM.png

windows elevation test.vwx

Guest Wes Gardner

And finally...Window Sill - here's mine...it did NOT show in reverse...hmmmm. Maybe it has something to do with your Unstyled wall...I'll need to test further.  I've also included a masonry sill with a soldier-course header...that's a little more involved but can be done

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 4.24.29 PM.png

Window sill test.vwx

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 4.30.29 PM.png

Adding to Wes's comments, regarding the offset sill - check the "Plan Wall Offset" setting on the "General" tab of the window settings to see if it is set to something wonky.

One of my personal frustrations with the window tool is that Stool and Sill settings are linked.  If your exterior and interior trims are different sizes, and you exterior sill horns and interior stool horns are controlled by a single setting, so one of them isn't going to look right.

I too always have problems of this kind with sills. Either unable to remove a mysterious offset, or the sill being the wrong way around.

Often I give up, untick the sill and model it directly.

As has been said a million times on these forums, and for several years, the window tool is rubbish, broken and urgently needs to be rewritten.

On 5/20/2019 at 5:11 PM, Wes Gardner said:

The way I see it there're at least three issues here - the muntins not showing, the sill not located correctly and the height is incorrect.

This'll take me a bit of time to weed through...the first question regarding the muntins not showing, in your Custom Sash dialog, you need to check the box "Include Muntins" - see image (sorry, I changed the units to that archaic "feet and inches" but that shouldn't affect the muntins...).  And you need to check that box for EACH selected sash.  What's interesting is that you DO NOT get a preview in this dialog...sorry, I don't write the code, I just try to make it work...

I'll work on the elevations next...

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 12.05.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 12.29.59 PM.png

That works great, thanks!

On 5/20/2019 at 6:09 PM, Wes Gardner said:

Next - Window elevations - if you want your windows to be set by head height or sill height you're going to NOT want to have a Height value  - see attached  image where it says Height 2600 - that is going to ADD 2600 mm to the elevation that you have set at 2100.  Does that make sense?

There is a getting started tutorial on our website

I've also included a copy of your file so you can experiment.

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 1.04.51 PM.png

windows elevation test.vwx

Yes that all works fine also!

On 5/20/2019 at 9:26 PM, Wes Gardner said:

And finally...Window Sill - here's mine...it did NOT show in reverse...hmmmm. Maybe it has something to do with your Unstyled wall...I'll need to test further.  I've also included a masonry sill with a soldier-course header...that's a little more involved but can be done

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 4.24.29 PM.png

Window sill test.vwx

Screen Shot 2019-05-20 at 4.30.29 PM.png

I've tried using a wall style from Vectorworks Wes but the result is the same- the sill is floating in mid air. Would you post your sill settings please?

I've tried various settings of the sill, you can get it to extend correctly as yours shows in the wall but if you pull it out then it all goes to pot no matter what you do. It's almost as if there is some association between the sill and the wall. Can we get this looked at as a priority please because after so many pricey upgrades to have something so basic still not working is not good?

• Like 1