Validation

How many Vectorworks users validate their PDF, DWG, IFC or COBie data prior to issue?

How many export a DWG or IFC and then bother to check that file in another software to see what the recipient is likely to see?

How many print direct from Vectorworks and don't check how long it takes to print the PDF generated by Vectorworks?

Or do you just hit 'Export...' and hope for the best?

With dwg and ifc exports from VW, you absolutely need to validate the results. 

I encourage our office to check all files leaving the office. We use Solibri Model Viewer for any ifc file and Autodesk Online Viewer for all dwg files that are exported. 

As for Pdf files, it's much more likely that the mistakes are made by the user rather than by glitches in the software. 

Edited by cberg

IMHO validating is extremely important, both for DWG and PDF (and IFC).

We try to use another, preferably a senior person to check all outgoing documents, also dwg's. If we're issuing for construction bid or for council approval, sometimes two persons review the documents. More eyes spot more errors. Sometimes there is also an issue with the dwg translation since dwg is not a very flexible format compared to a vw model. The possibility of that alone requires checking all dwg's. Sometimes it's easier to spot a user error in the VW model from the dwg, since it's only linework.

This does question what software you should use to validate your data.  Importing a Vectorworks DWG back into Vectorworks does not prove anything, but it is amazing how many do this.

We have found problems using Autodesk's Online Viewer.

Draftsight has been very useful for DWG.

However, where does validation stop?  Should you be checking the IFC imports correctly into the software of the recipient, or is this their responsibility?

Agreed.  Reimporting dwgs does not validate results!

There are indeed quirks to IFC to Revit that we've had to troubleshoot over the years.  For example, I have one engineer that asked me to show all the doors as 3D Open, so they show up correctly in Revit.  And other times when Revit imports openings in walls as boxes.  

You need to work carefully with the end user to make sure that information imports correctly.  In this regard, outtakes and screenshots are very helpful!

We use Bricscad mostly, and sometimes the Autodesk viewer for double-checking. The more maintsream the better. However, there is no "genuine DWG" despite Autodesk claims.

The buck has to stop somewhere - Solibri or a DWG viewer in my opinion. The architect is already responsible for everything between the earth and sky, so it seems and feels sometimes...

I forgot to mention that Autodesk Online Viewer is also good for IFC files.  Especially with Revit Folks, who claim that they don't see what is in your model.  You can screenshot and say, that it's in the Autodesk Viewer, so...  "It's in there"