Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links Read more... ×
Niels Timmer

Extrude along multiple paths and use Control Geometry

In the attached file I have three Marionette Networks.

The first network is simple: it extrudes a polygon along a path. The script knows which polygons to use, because I named them 'Profile' and 'Path'.

The second network is almost the same, except that instead of one path I created multiple paths and grouped them.

The third network is almost the same as the second network, but the third network is wrapped. What I would like is to use the group of paths as 'Control Geometry'. But when I select the wrapped network and the group of paths, right-click and then 'Convert to Object Node...', both the wrapped network and the group of paths seem to disappear.

How can I fix this?

ExtrudePath.vwx

Thank you, it works!

I was almost there... Now I'm curious: what is the difference between the Contents node and the Ungroup node? The output formats (hObjs) look the same.

Great question!

• Ungroup will actively ungroup a group (unless it's a group created by Marionette) and return the handles of the objects that used to reside within it
  • Contents will give you the handles to the objects within a group without ungrouping it.

Generally, they can be relatively interchangeable if you don't really care about the grouping of objects in the end, but in this case (though I'm not totally certain) I believe it fails because once you ungroup the objects in a Control Geometry container, the node that references Control Geometry doesn't know what to do anymore since it's only supposed to contain one object (ungrouping would result in the Control Geo container to now contain three separate objects).

I hope that helps to clear things up at least a little bit!

Yes, now it makes sense to me.

Thanks for your replies! I finished the Marionette network and have my first working Marionette object in a building model.

• Like 1