+ Performance- Disc Repair Utility outside OSX.

Just to let you all know, I have been experiencing numerous VW11 crashes recently.

I just did ran the disc repair utility, and ran Repair Disc Permissions (Outside of OSX).

Then I did it with the operating system running. Definate application loading speed improvement, and the predictable crashes before this was done seem to be gone.

Thought I'd let you know.

Yes, sorry.

I started the computer from the CD, and then through my original operating system 'Disc 1' that came with my machine, I went to File>Disc Utility. Then I proceeded to run Repair Disc Allocations. After it went through the course, I booted the computer in 10.3, and then went do disc utility in my utilities and did the same.

Seemed to make a dif.

Hope this helps

OSX 10.3 is journaled, and it is constantly "optimising files on the harddrive (consolidating files in contigious space). Optimisation is also run when you install software.

Repairing disk permissions is another thing, and should be done on a regular basis.

Boot from your install CD. Open the Disc Utility from the file menu. Run Repar Disk permissions. Couldn't be simpler.

Lots of expert advice on OSX at www.osxhints.com

Eddie,

We run Repair Disk permissions on a regular basis from with in the system, i've even set up it as one of the cron scripts, and find it gives good stabity.

Just curious i've tried in the pass to run it from a boot cd but got the error message that it can only be run on the active system disk. Any special tricks to run it out of system? Does it make much difference over runing it with in the system?

Matt

I thought that Eddie was referring to the Verify Disk and Repair Disk options. . .these can't be run on a disk with an open file or the Startup disk. By using the CD, these operations can be run on Startup disk.

As you note, the permissions operations can be run from within OSX.

Hi Matt,

basically I use the first CD that came with my OS. I have a G5, so mine is my Software Install and Restore disc 1. I boot from the CD, and it begins to run the OS installation. When the option comes to select my language, I can go up to File menu (If I recall correctly), and then it allows me to open Disk Utility. From there you can do all your maintenance proceedures, like repairing disk permissions. I noticed that when I completed the repair permissions task this way, it seemed to come up with more red flags than if I used the Disk Utility while being fully booted up.

Hope this helps.

Ape,

Got me goin' ... although I use Cron scripts every week and the UNIX terminal does normal maintenance during Boot, I started fresh from the Install CD Disk Utility and even upgraded to Cocktail3.5 (highly recommended).

Did all the permissions, Re-binding, Lookup, Whatis and cleaned out the .ds files. The end result was VW became a tad faster which should be expected. But the problems with the 'dylib' were not affected and the app crashes regularly during OpenGL NURBS rendering.

Now I'm goin use XCode to see if I can figure out :

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 libGLU.dylib 0x90caa604 TrimVertexPool::clear() + 0x38

eja

I dont know, Islandmon, but it seems as though you experience far more hard-core problems than any of us other users who have had issues, and have been interestingly watching your Death of Vectorworks thread.

Yes, I have my share of issues in 11.5 as the reason I have reverted back to 11.1, howver it does seem very odd.

I am wondering if you happen to have any hardware issues?

Also, Cocktail 3.5?

What does it do?

This is very good information. I would like to point out though, that Katie has been telling us to repair our permissions for years.

Not to take anything away from Eddie; thank you for the info. But I would like Katie to get some credit for all the hard work that she does.

Best guess: It seems VW is somewhat more sensitive to fragmentation or possibly disk/permission issues than other software. (Copyright protection scheme, temp storage protocol, whatever.) The net result is that one key to minimizing VW crashing is to keep the OS very "clean" running.

I guess that makes the answer to your either/or question a simple "yes".