Adding Cross Sections to Custom Pallet

CETLV

So, another XSF question (its our truss inventory) so since XSF does not have a 6 way in their library, I wanted to just use tomcat or something that does have a 6 way and is plated, than just change the cross section.  However I cannot get the XSF to appear in the customize pallet to even see the data to input it myself.  Does anyone know how to add it in or have that data?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

At this time XSF have not given us the cross section data therefore that is why it is not appearing in the customize pallet.  If you know the data you can create a custom cross section and apply that to the symbol.  Keep in mind though that a custom cross section is only retained within the working document so if you transfer those symbols to another document the cross section will revert to Rigid and you will have to enter the data again.

We are in talks with XSF about getting the data and more libraries but I cannot give a timeframe at this time as to a release date.

We were only given the geometry and not the structural data and that is the reason for it being missing.  This is a common theme with the US manufacturers and we have found that the only way to try and get the data is to have users/customers contact the manufacturer and explain that you need the data in order to use the Vectorworks symbols properly or you may switch to another manufacturer that has the data in the software.  Kind of like the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Now, I can say that I have spoken with XSF and they are working on getting more geometry to us as well as getting the engineering reports that we need in order to enter the data correctly.  The load tables that are provided online do not provide enough information for our structural engineer to create the cross sections. 

yeah i totally get that 🙂  Thank you very much.  In the meantime what is your suggestion on what library to use that can give me a simple box with a some sort of a light duty cross section. If I have to I can go rigid and just not get correct numbers for all the influence lines, but I would like to have them if possible.  I can use this product flawlessly with our inventory until I have to put a corner in.  Please help!

Christie Lites Type A is a 12"x12" box that has all of the cross section data and has a 6 way corner with data as well as some wedges and several common straight lengths.  That seems to be what a lot of users are turning to in the absence of the truss with data such as Thomas and Tomcat.

Ok I am just going out on a limb here and say something really odd is in my libraries.  The 6 way in my library (I downloaded the newest one off SS portal) only connects 2 way just like the XSF.  Am I doing something wrong?1394692361_WeirdStuff.thumb.JPG.1a1d0f2b88d4185201fc86027e4eaa1a.JPG

I used my XSF symbols with the type A christie cross section, then when I put in the 6 way it only keeps going in the initial direction and wont turn a corner.

I used the Christie Lites library that is in the Vectorworks libraries as it is no longer on Service Select exclusively and is included with VW2019 and it connected properly for me.  If you switched the cross section you may have to set the corner up again to be a six way connection.  You could send me the file if you are able and I can take a look.  I have attached a photo of what I was able to achieve using the Christie corner straight out of Vectorworks and with Christie straight pieces of truss.

Screen Shot 2019-05-21 at 9.17.13 AM.png

Thanks a bunch!  that I noticed, the challenge with me is that I need 10 footers to attach to the 6 way, so I had to customize.

I did end up making a few things work.  I think I may just end up using rigid and doing the old pen and paper until the libraries get updated.

I am fixing that Christie corner for you now.  I noticed that you set the type as 4 Way which will not work because Braceworks uses Type to connect to like "types" of truss.  I am going to use 4 Way in the name for that corner and use the XSF, and Christie Type A as the types that can connect to it.  Also, that corner may be designed for 12x12 box and the structural is 12x12 but there are gusset bolt plates on it so the physical dimensions are also bigger than 12x12 and these have to be accounted for when setting everything up.  When I have it working properly I will DM you the file.

oh wow, i would have not even thought to change that type of name.  when I imported it and tried to connect to the 10 footers, I needed to just change the connects to stuff, and thus started on a downward spiral... 🙂 Thanks so much.  I also sent some files into the service select portal as well but am yet to hear back.  Thanks so much!