Site model on parking lot

I am working on a project in which we are building a campus on a parking lot.

I want to create a site model which will sit on the model of the parking lot. The ceiling of the parking lot is complicated and has several inclines and different heights.

I thought about a couple options how to do it, but none of them seems to work properly.

1. Create a site model as existing with the heights of the parking lot ceiling and then add the contours of the final topography as proposed contour lines. The problem is, that I can not set my already imported 3D polys as the proposed contour lines. Additionally, I do not want to show any "skirt" which is lower that the ceiling of the parking lot.
  2. Is there a way to cut of visible parts of the "skirt" of the site model? In a way erasing the lower parts, which I do not want to show.
  3. Are there any other ways to reach my goal?

The thing is, I need to export the model as an IFC in order to import it into a Revit model of the Architects. There it needs to sit of the parking lot building and show in some kind of way the depth of the soil I have from the surface to the concrete of the parking lot.

Thanks a lot for any help.

So this is basically a roof garden.  Why don’t you constrain the site model to the extents of the parking garage roof edge in plan view, disregard the actual natural grade, and turn off the skirt?  Wouldn’t this give you a topography that exists entirely within the area of interest and represent the surface needed?  I did something similar when learning the site model tool a while back to represent a surface above an underground bunker.  I constrained my surface to curbs surrounding the area of interest and was then free to use the grading and slab tools to develop the surface above the bunker.

My problem is not to to constrain the topography on the sides. I want that the lower base lines of the site model matches the heights of the ceiling of the parking lot. 

So that at any given point I can see the depth of soil I have and therefore know where I can plant trees. 

I basically need a cut-and-fill model, which shows me the depth of fill on the roof.

2 hours ago, aheimann said:

My problem is not to to constrain the topography on the sides. I want that the lower base lines of the site model matches the heights of the ceiling of the parking lot. 

So that at any given point I can see the depth of soil I have and therefore know where I can plant trees. 

I basically need a cut-and-fill model, which shows me the depth of fill on the roof.

Perhaps the site model tool is not the right one for the job for the entire process in this case.  I’m no expert on VW, but here is the a variation on the process I used to use in AutoCAD or Rhino when faced with such problems.  Before those tools, we just studied the problem in sectional drawings.  At the end of the, everything will probably change when it gets built, so don’t kill yourself on the technical means of production 🙂

Solid Modeling for Soil Volume Estimations & Clash Detection on Green Roofs

1. Make your proposed topographical surface using your preferred topography tool capable of generating contours, ignoring the supporting structure’s levels.

2. Keep the topographical model intact for other uses, but export contours to be extruded in the next step.

3. Extrude the site model contours as solids, making sure to create an outline of the supporting structure’s roof boundary as well , and extrude it to at least as deep as the lowest point on your roof. Join/union into a single solid.

4. turn the boundary of the supporting structure into a solid by simply extruding it downward, at least as deep as your lowest point on the site model.

5. Subtract the roof from the topography.

The resulting solid will give you:

accurate volume

easy means of calculating loads at a given point on the model

visual means to check for clashes

Hope it helps,

Jeff