advice on creating new plants

Has someone a workflow for saving a new plant and having it as part of the VW plant database ?

I have created several new plants and when asked about saving the plant I quickly click on save and for no good reason, I label them 'test'

Now I have many text files with plant info and they are in my application support folder in my HD library labeled 'test' with a number (see screen shot)

Navigating the dialog box for saving the plant is the key - I assume 

The help manual does not appear to guide this solution 

Screen Shot 2019-05-10 at 11.19.28 AM.png

Bob, I like to generate a file called "Dump File" this is a great place to set all symbols you create till you have a better time to clean them up. If you are using Workgroup Folders then create one there or create the file and save as a Favorite. This will give you rapid access to everything in your Resource Manager.

Hello,

I haven't been involved in planting plans much since we got Vwx 2019, but I always used to create the plant in the plant database in the first place, then assign that definition to a symbol. Then it's automatically in the database. I thought Vwx 2019 had a better system though, and would auto-update each from the other, shame if that's not the case!

Amanda

Edited by Amanda McDermott
typo

yes you can set VW to update the database with plant style changes. This is done when going to Landmark>Choose Plant Data Source. This will allow for a two way street between the plant dialog window and the Database. As for plant symbol creation you can create a plant symbol and leave it blank (no data attached) if you choose. You can then chose the symbol in the Resource Manager and Edit Style at that point you can add the data. Of course you can add the data at creation of the symbol. Key takeaway here is find what works for you in your process. If creating an image or graphic is your mindset at that moment just do that and continue with your design. VW is great at letting you go back later to do the details. Keep in mind work hard but have fun with it! 🙂

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Hi guys,

It seem that my question is a bit a derivative of what this tread is about. Nevertheless, let me shoot it.

I am pretty new to VW. We only recently purchased the 2019 version.

What I was trying to do is to define typical styles for, let's say, standard nursery stock trees, multi-stems, herbaceous etc. I thought I would need one style per each, so it presents the label and so on as we are used to it in the office. But, it seems to me that I need to create individual styles to each species and plant characteristics I am proposing in the given project. Is that really so, or I have missed something?

In an example, I have a few standards (like 12-14 cm girth) in my project, as well as multi-stem feature trees and a mixed herbaceous layer. I created the styles, but when I apply a style to a tree it can only be of a species that goes with that style. Can I do it generic and then just change/ specify the species?

Can you help or point me to the right discussion?

@NoemiM ,

Thank you so much for sharing your workflow with me/ us here.

It seems that VW does require a separate style for each plant. Your workflow seems reasonable to me and I have a feeling I would end up with something similar.

In my previous practice, where we used another software, I used to create an array of squares with the associated specification of planting areas (i.e. wither individual species or mixes) and tree/shrub symbols which effectively was my swatch pallet. I would then use the 'Copy Specification' command to populate the planting areas and specimen plants in my project. It was like a blitzkrieg. 

Different soft, different methodologies. I would prefer it to be more flexible, but hey-ho! Working out a good and efficient workflow is essential with these tasks, therefore your option is a much appreciated time-saving tip.

On 8/15/2019 at 9:43 PM, Michal Zarzecki said:

In my previous practice, where we used another software, I used to create an array of squares with the associated specification of planting areas (i.e. wither individual species or mixes) and tree/shrub symbols which effectively was my swatch pallet. I would then use the 'Copy Specification' command to populate the planting areas and specimen plants in my project. It was like a blitzkrieg. 

Different soft, different methodologies. I would prefer it to be more flexible, but hey-ho! Working out a good and efficient workflow is essential with these tasks, therefore your option is a much appreciated time-saving tip.

Is a bit more labour-intensive to begin with but then you have your library forever! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@NoemiM VW will do the same! there is the plant tool (generate symbols with data attached) there is also the landscape area tool. this generates an outline shape, you then load your chiselers of plants and yes mixes of plants set the percentage and plant rate and it will load the area automatically. These mixes and choices can be saved for future use as a resource. There is no need to copy a specification. You can also load any plant data into any plant symbol effectively making any specific plant symbol be any number of species. The only thing is you can't have the same symbol be multiple species in the same document.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I find the Vectorworks term "Plant Style" very confusing. Different plant "styles" are in effect different plant objects, usually different species ; it has nothing to do with plant form (standard, multistem etc) as one might intuitively suppose. In switching from 2009 to 2019 I found this a major stumbling block and I still find it bizarre that the difference between say an oak tree and a daisy can be considered  a matter of "style". Confusing terminology aside, the software does allow you to build up a collection of plants that makes planting plans quick and easy in the long term.

Edited by Roger Webster
typo
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Roger WebsterI agree that at first this can get confusing. The main issue is there are terms used throughout Vectorworks such as "style" that are designed to be universal. ie. wall styles for Architects, or other "sales" for Spotlight, Renderworks or pretty much anything. Not always can the software completely line up with a specific expertise's terminology thus the confusion. But I will say that once you get past the terminology part, generating plants as symbols is really quite easy and very powerful. The fact that you can create your very own graphic styling (yep I said it) is fantastic. Furthermore the ability to define your own library of symbols and set them in a Favorites or a workgroup library is in itself powerful fast and simply elegant in its process.

• Like 3
  • 5 months later...