jeff prince

Thanks for making computer work fun again!

Nice looking work...your mesh looks great overlaid onto the site model. Well done.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, J. Wallace said:

Nice looking work...your mesh looks great overlaid onto the site model. Well done.

Thank you.  You will be interested to know that all of the work, including the mesh, is geo referenced in a local UTM coordinate system as well 🙂. It ended up being within 100mm of the land survey and has topographical character that is right on the money.  So, we can investigate the site from the office now and identify any features we may have missed during our initial visit.  This is the future and it’s very promising.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

Thank you.  You will be interested to know that all of the work, including the mesh, is geo referenced in a local UTM coordinate system as well 🙂. It ended up being within 100mm of the land survey and has topographical character that is right on the money.  So, we can investigate the site from the office now and identify any features we may have missed during our initial visit.  This is the future and it’s very promising.

That is fantastic. Your mesh looks very good, do you find it cumbersome to navigate with? The mesh files I receive are usually huge 500gb+ so I find I set up a file for the mesh only to make it easier to reference. 

Exciting to read about your experience and thanks for sharing.

Edited by J. Wallace
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, J. Wallace said:

That is fantastic. Your mesh looks very good, do you find it cumbersome to navigate with? The mesh files I receive are usually huge 500gb+ so I find I set up a file for the mesh only to make it easier to reference. 

Exciting to read about your experience and thanks for sharing.

What size property are you working with?  That’s huge file size.

The sites I have been working with have ranged from 10 to 120 acres.  I think the largest mesh I have is like 250 MB.  I’m flying 70 to 90 meters AGL at 20 KPH and generating 3cm/px resolution images and meshes.  I can see joints in concrete pavers, identify most plants, obtain walls/fences/parapets and even soccer goals and light poles with basic level of detail.  This marina project was flown in 20-30 KPH winds and light rain.  The output was surprisingly good given the conditions and the fact that I only shot one pass of nadir images.

I typically save a high rez model and then make a decimated version for quick performance and smaller file size (around 20 MB).  I stick them in their own design layers so I can selectively load them.  It seems to help a lot.  This particular project is the first time I have held the mesh in it’s own file and referenced it in... I just learned how to properly reference files in this past week 🙂

Made a little progress today....

• Learned how to dredge my site using grade limits and pad modifiers - Almost flawless, see the diagonal line in my harbor?  What's up with that?
  • Refined topographical survey by deleting some problematic points from the data - Wow, that was easy!
  • Imported 4 Revit and 1 3DS context models and then set their elevation using the site model - Quarantined to individual VW files and referenced into the master model.
  • Added the sea at mid-tide - Lovely, I can now model the effects of global warming 🙂

Did I mention this is my first use of VW for an actual project?  I had originally planned on doing the football stadium project in VW, but the schedule was too tight for a high risk experiment.  The plan is to create our first VW project as a demonstration of landscape BIM.   I can count the number of useful drawings and models I've made in VW on one hand and come from a 20 year AutoCAD background....so this is going to get real interesting.  I have two weeks to finish conceptual masterplanning and make the presentation.  

I have excused my AutoCAD staff from the project and will bring my concepts to life on my own.

This is going to be an amazing process or an epic fail...

stack3.thumb.gif.d719266bb7b74d207c20a5bf6ca9bfdb.gif

• Like 4

On 5/7/2019 at 12:35 PM, jeff prince said:

What size property are you working with?  That’s huge file size. 

The sites I have been working with have ranged from 10 to 120 acres.  I think the largest mesh I have is like 250 MB.  I’m flying 70 to 90 meters AGL at 20 KPH and generating 3cm/px resolution images and meshes.  I can see joints in concrete pavers, identify most plants, obtain walls/fences/parapets and even soccer goals and light poles with basic level of detail.  This marina project was flown in 20-30 KPH winds and light rain.  The output was surprisingly good given the conditions and the fact that I only shot one pass of nadir images.

I typically save a high rez model and then make a decimated version for quick performance and smaller file size (around 20 MB).  I stick them in their own design layers so I can selectively load them.  It seems to help a lot.  This particular project is the first time I have held the mesh in it’s own file and referenced it in... I just learned how to properly reference files in this past week 🙂

@jeff prince the property sizes I work with would be 1/2 acre up to 30...at least at this point. I think a big difference is your collecting your own drone data. I'm receiving the data from an operator. I'm going to send along a message later today and ask him some specifics. Your project is looking great, have fun. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, J. Wallace said:

@jeff prince the property sizes I work with would be 1/2 acre up to 30...at least at this point. I think a big difference is your collecting your own drone data. I'm receiving the data from an operator. I'm going to send along a message later today and ask him some specifics. Your project is looking great, have fun. 

Yes, collecting and processing my own data gives me a simpler workflow.  I imagine your person could take their data and downsample it into a more manageable size.  I keep the native resolution file as a master and then generate downsampled versions until it begins to degrade visually.  You could try the same with MeshLab, which is a powerful and free tool.  I learned how to use it in an afternoon.  I do the same thing with my orthophotos, which can get into the 100s of MB.  Having a low resolution file for reference and turning off the high Rez one until you really need it makes the computer happy.

Edited by jeff prince

Do you think you will use this model right through to construction drawings?

2 hours ago, line-weight said:

Do you think you will use this model right through to construction drawings?

Probably.

1 hour ago, jeff prince said:

Probably.

I think that's where it will really be tested. I'll be interested to see how you get on.

• Like 2