Lighting Paperwork

I've been using lightwright for as long as I've been using VWX so its never come up before.  BUT....

Now I need to get VWX to be able to do a "counts" sheet without the help of LW.  Essentially a gear list that can be slung to the rental house.  

I want to make a report that give me a quantity of each of the fixture types in my show so I can make a rental gear list. 

As it is, I just have a template that has each item listed but I have to manually enter the quantities.  Of I can get VWX to count the instruments but then I have to take that number and enter it on the appropriate line.

And as for cable, I have no idea how to get a count in.

Ideally, I'd like VWX to work like an excell spreadsheet and give me a formula like

"lookup the text in the cell to the left, count that quantity, multiply it by 1.15 (for spares), round up to the nearest whole number."  

Is this even a possibility?

Anyone have any basic templates they wouldn't mind demonstrating?

Or maybe there's a far better way to achieve this?

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 7.42.43.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 7.56.27.png

For cable:

Spotlight>Reports>Create Cable Worksheet...

The default inventory reports generally match used to inventory totals and use the symbol name, not the instrument type. 

To make a custom report try Spotlight>Reports>Create report… with the settings below. All worksheets are available in the Resource Manager.

Create_Report.thumb.png.be88e22a26665b8d42bb3d97266ecc8b.png

The shop order I send out is a Word template. I'll use a combination of VW and LW to do counting, depending on the project and what I'm counting, but I don't want the process to be automated: the shop list contains spares, notes, and detailed specifications that I'm not getting from a pure count.

That said, what I usually generate is a bid list from a designer's perspective. I'm not doing any kind of electronic prep work where I may have documented every cable, accessory, and piece of iron. etc. in either VW or LW's database.

I'd want the base to be automated to give me big broad counts, with other cells able to be directly editable. In the past, I've used excel myself.  I just figured there had to be a way in VWX

And to make my spares lists, I tend to put in formulas.

For example, in a ballroom with fixed eye bolts in the ceiling, for every motor, I can add 

Shackle # = (motor number) x 5

Gack flex # = (motor) x 2.25 {rounded to the next whole}

Spanset # + (motor) x 0.75 {rounded to the next whole}

etc.

The worksheet function "COUNT(criteria)" can count things with the same symbol name, same attached record, same value in record field, or a host of other criteria.

in the worksheet screenshot below

In Cell B4

=COUNT(('HoistVW'.'Type'='2 Ton'))

will count all the Hoist plug-in objects that have the value "2 Ton" in the "Hoist Type" field.

In Cell B5

=COUNT((R IN ['HoistVW']))

will count all the Hoists.

In Cell B6, is your formula for Shackle # which is =B5 *5

image.thumb.jpeg.e429b049000d88509efb1f3d6b8ca503.jpeg 

You will need to get familiar with the criteria for formulas.  This is most easily done by going to the insert criteria menu in the worksheet "Insert" menu

image.thumb.jpeg.5975b3760806c7f7ef4cac8255d74e6f.jpeg

This will bring up a dialog:

image.thumb.jpeg.225d21572059d7c758c38409ac6fb726.jpeg

Click on the "Custom..." button, and that will bring up a dialog:

image.thumb.jpeg.ad5e2ccbac8419a8940224d2c18a3b69.jpeg

You will almost always want to pick Record or Field value from the left hand drop down, but there are occasional times when you will pick other criteria.  I don't have the time or expertise to write the book on worksheets of VS criteria and functions, so you will have some research to do.  Pat Stanford who prowls all corners of the of this list is the current non-VW employee expert on worksheets.  You should get answers to the various questions that come up for you. 

Have fun.