Mojave 2019 SP3.1 Text Editing Very Slow

Asemblance

Question

Hi All,

I've just taken the plunge to Mojave, and straight off the bat have run into a major issue.

Editing text in sheet view is absolutely crippling my system. I'm working in the same file as I was prior to updating to Mojave, on the same system, on the same SP3.1 Vectorworks. The only change is the system update, and it is severely slower since the update.

Is this a known issue? I can record some footage showing the slowdown if it helps.

Thanks

A

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Can you try undocking your Object Info Palette and then resizing the palette before you start working? Are you getting the same slowness with the palette resized and undocked?

Thanks!

I haven't had the issue since first posting last month. Until now.

I'm having a very similar feeling issue, this time selecting a piece of wall. Its quite a heavy file but smaller than most I am currently working on, and runs fine generally. I took a couple of videos (links below) to try and illustrate the issue.

First video, all fine. Feels normal, responsive.

Second video. Exact same file, taken about 2 minutes later. All I had done was select the piece of wall shown on screen. Vectorworks then took CPU usage up to about 103%, and became completely unresponsive for 5 minutes. (Note - in the video you can't see the spinning loading cursor, screen recorder doesn't record it. But it was spinning away the whole time). This is the same issue I was having with selecting/editing certain blocks of text in my previous post. This issue seems to arise quite erratically on certain bits of certain files.. Has happened a few times in this file this afternoon, very difficult to get work done like this.

Vid 1 -

Vid 2 -

Edited by Asemblance
Clarity
1 hour ago, Pier Luigi said:

Did my suggestion solved your problem?

I had experience with our tech support here in Italy with some clients: trashing the Preferences folder solved slowdown problems.

Didn't solve my issues at all. No difference. The only thing that stops beachballs is copying files to work on locally and then disconnecting for the network /server. 

Seems like VW is having issues with working over macintosh networks. 

Edited by ptoner
On 5/7/2019 at 1:55 PM, jblock said:

Can you try undocking your Object Info Palette and then resizing the palette before you start working? Are you getting the same slowness with the palette resized and undocked?

Thanks!

@jblock This occurred again earlier and I remembered your previous comment about undocking the OIP. Which seems to possibly have worked? I'll do a bit more testing. But can you explain to me ~why~ this works?? Surely where the OIP is/how it is docked should have no impact on performance.. Is this a known bug??

Thanks,

A

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Yes, the issue is related to how Mojave is forcing a refresh of the Object Info Palette. Undocking and resizing the palette seems to reset it and mitigate the issue. We have only seen this issue on Mojave, but our engineering team is aware and working on a fix. 

Thanks!

• Like 2
On 7/5/2019 at 3:05 PM, Asemblance said:

@jblock This occurred again earlier and I remembered your previous comment about undocking the OIP. Which seems to possibly have worked? I'll do a bit more testing. But can you explain to me ~why~ this works?? Surely where the OIP is/how it is docked should have no impact on performance.. Is this a known bug??

Thanks,

A

If you get the spinning again, just disconnect form your network, you problem will instantly vanish. 
Vectorworks has issues with SMB access over a network. Major issue in our environment of over 30+ staff using VW. 

• Like 1
On 7/9/2019 at 10:56 AM, jblock said:

Yes, the issue is related to how Mojave is forcing a refresh of the Object Info Palette. Undocking and resizing the palette seems to reset it and mitigate the issue. We have only seen this issue on Mojave, but our engineering team is aware and working on a fix. 

Thanks!

How is this still an unresolved? Earlier in the year some of our workstations moved to Mojave and created major production issues in Vectorworks and needed to be rolled back. I recently moved my machine to Mojave hoping that since MacOS Catalina is almost out and that VW 2019 is now on SP5.2 that these CPU usage issues would have been resolved. Your software is still broken for current mac machines! How are we supposed to purchase new workstations if you can't get Vectorworks to function correctly on any current macs?!

• Like 1

Can we get some update on this issue?

My business uses vectorworks to do our specifications (We do not like having bits and pieces in Word, Excel etc)

So we need vectorworks to have excellent text editing (or even word processing) capabilities.

When we work on our short-form specification in Vectorworks (which is not super dense in text) it is awfully slow.

• Like 1