Renumber Door ID

As usually happens, I have tagged all of my doors and now someone wants to add a door. Is there an easy way to have all of the door IDs after the new door increase by one? For example, the new door "X" is placed between doors 55 and 56. Door "X" becomes 56 and door 56 becomes 57 and so on. The same would go for Room numbers. I know someone will want to add or delete a room eventually

Thanks.

I've generally handled this by calling the new door 56b and renaming the adjacent one 56a. Yes, it lets everyone know a revision was made fairly late in the process, but it keeps everything in order on the schedule.

I don't know an "easy" way to have VW re-ID the doors. Perhaps someone else will.

Good luck,

Try this neat trick:

{ If you have more than a dozen doors or windows to renumber}

>Assign a Class 'Label-DR' to each Door Label

>Menu>Organize>Sel Only>Class>"Label-DR'

>Group>Cut paste to new layer (safe) >save

>Create new empty doc at same page scale>paste

>Export to Vectorscript

>Open in text editor>search for 'string'>

Field(LNewObj,'ID Leader','TagText','D-1');

or begin at the number of the new door , ie.

Field(LNewObj,'ID Leader','TagText','D-33');

From here then renumber the doors> 'TagText','D-XX');

as required

>save as new text file version#

>Import vectorscript into new doc

>Copy all new ID >paste into original file > Label layer

This technique is superb for working with PIO text changes of all types. Note: the Door ID is a symbol so edit symbol to make sure the text is the correct font&size.

eja

Islandmon,

It seems your method will properly modify the ID Leaders, but not the data of the doors themselves. The plan would read correctly but wouldn't correspond to the schedule, which would likely be built on the Door data rather than the ID Leader data.

Travis,

You make an important point. Howevr, the procedure 'TagText' only accesses the Label ID TagText: 'string'. Modifying the string via text editor=modification via PIO 'TagText':field.

The door data can also be modified using this technique. The schedule uses the symbol name:string criteria to generate a list

of all the door symbols and the fields:

Record(LNewObj,'ID Leader');

///////

Field(LNewObj,'ID Leader','TagText','D-1');

Field(LNewObj,'ID Leader','Fld1Text','');

Field(LNewObj,'ID Leader','Fld2Text','');

Field(LNewObj,'ID Leader','Fld3Text','');

Field(LNewObj,'ID Leader','Fld4Text','');

Field(LNewObj,'ID Leader','Fld5Text','');

Field(LNewObj,'ID Leader','Fld6Text','');

Field(LNewObj,'ID Leader','UID','349223');

Field(LNewObj,'ID Leader','Prefix','D-');

Field(LNewObj,'ID Leader','Label','1');

Field(LNewObj,'ID Leader','Suffix','');

I've used the VSS export/import often when 'global' changes are required to particular classes of objects.

The critical path concept is to clearly identify and isolate each instance prior to export like 'all door labels', only.

Mixing and matching PIO's doesn't work !

eja

Travis points out that modifying the ID label text fields will NOT make changes to the Door PIO text fields and therefore the schdule will not reflect the changes. This is absolutely correct. The Door.vso PIO & the ID Leader.vso PIO are separate and distinct procedures. One doesn't translate to the other.

In both instances the Record() Fields unique to the PIO.

Nevertheless, the technique can be applied democratically to all PIO objects !

eja

I finally got back to looking at this and came up with a work around that worked for me. It may not be the best way, but it worked. I isolated my door ID class and deleted all of the tags after where I was inserting my new door. I set the ID tool to auto increment and just went through and re-tagged the doors. All of the door info was retrieved from the existing door record and the door number was updated to the new correct number. It's not as easy as the Autocad renumber tool, but it just took a few clicks on each door. It didn't take very long to change and now I won't have people search for a door that is out of sequence.

Steve