class/layer palette revamp

grant_PD

Question

I think this has been asked before, but I'll ask again.  

Can we have the class and layer palettes be separate items, that one can have open at the same time.  

Can we have the layer visibilities affect the class palette, so that if I am working on say Layer A, the class palette highlights or shows only the classes that are on that layer (this would be an option that could be turned on or off). 

Added bonus: can hovering the cursor over an object show its class/layer/name somewhere on the screen without having to select it.

• Like 4

2 answers to this question

If you use the Visibility tool ("V" key'), you'll get the functionality you wish for in terms of hovering over an object & having its class / layer revealed.  You have to toggle between the Class and Layer "modes" of the tool to see which is which, but you can see the class and layer (one at a time) for any object.  If (when you're using the Visibility Tool) you press and hold the "V" key, you'll see *all* the layers/classes (depending which mode of the tool you're in) even if they're set to invisible.  However it seems that you won't see classes that are in layers that are turned off, if you're in the "Classes" mode, (or vice versa) but I could be wrong.

I actually signed on just now with the express purpose of making some suggestions about the Visibility Tool which I'll do in a separate post.

I wholeheartedly support the idea of class and layer palettes being separate items however.  I wish I could count the number of times I have to switch from one to the other in the Navigation Palette.  I suppose there might be those who would suggest using the Class and Layer windows at the top menu bar, but you can't switch visibilities from there I don't think?

When I used the visibility tool what happened was everything froze for a good long while.  I think this is because VW is trying to "preselect" anything I move my mouse over.  I'm not sure why this is so easy for other programs (C4D, Photoshop) and not for VW.