Export multiple site models into an IFC file

Hey everybody,

I have a complicated topography in my plan, which is apparently too big or too complicated to export to IFC. Therefore I decided to divide this element into multiple smaller site models. 

When I export the file to an IFC project the exported file shows only one of the site models.

Is it possible to export only one site model per file? Do I need to specify the site models in a specific way in order to export all of them at once?

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Anna

So, Robert Anderson continued his help per direct mail to me.

In the end it turned out that my site terrain was just too complex. He used the "simplify 3d polys" tool on my imported topography lines and was able to reduce the size and therefore the complexity of the site terrain significantly.

Thanks a lot again!

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Glad to help, Anna. Often when default conversion resolutions are set to "high" or "very high" and you are importing spline data for topos, it's possible to get topographic geometry that can have 3000 or 4000 vertices for a single topo line on a feature. The site model works with the data it has, and doesn't simplifiy. This can bog down the model and also anything that depends on the model (like IFC export). You can reduce the vertices by a factor of 20 (and speed up by MORE than a factor of 20) with no discernible difference in the visual quality of the site model. That's why we have "Simplify 3D Polys" in the Terrain menu.

Again, glad to help!

• Like 1